WubiX - Wubi for any Linux distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by pandlouk, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

A new project wubi derivate is under development.
    I cannot wait for the first release.

It will be great to have 4-5 different distros without having to partition my system. :D
    WubiX - Wubi for any Linux distro

Panagiotis

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Thanks for the info pandlouk. I used to run Ubuntu with Wubi. It ran great with no problems. Wubi is excellent for someone who is afraid to partition their hard drive because of fear of losing their data. When computer is booting up you still have a choice whether to go into Ubuntu or windows..just like a dual boot configeration.

Wubi also works now with kbuntu, xubuntu, and eubuntu. After a few days I decided to uninstall ubuntu. This is simply done through the "add remove programs" in windows. Ubuntu also restores the "MBR" or "Master Boot Record" when you uninstall it. Uninstall went great. Ubuntu did in fact restore the MBR .

For someone who has a fear of dual booting . Sitting up partitions..wubi does all that. It just doesn't get any simpler.

Why did I uninstall Wubi and Ubuntu ? I found 2 other distros I like better. Wubi didn't support either one. I have windows Xp, Linux Mint, and Mepis in a triple boot configeration. Both linux mint and Mepis are newbie friendly. Both come "multimedia ready" right after install. Flash, all necessary codecs to play mp3"s, streaming video are preinstalled. Well, you do have to press okay when either distro pops up a box saying you may be breaking the law by downloading this "Restrictive software" It's worded something like that. LOL.

I think pclinuxos is multimedia ready also. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try this distro out. Pclinuxos won't run on my pc. I've tried both version 7 and the new "Gnome edition" Both distros throw up a xserver error.

Parsix linux is another newbie friendly linux distro. Multimedia ready like mint and mepis. Glad to hear that wubi will be supporting more distros.I just noticed that WubiX only supports Windows (Nt,2000,and Xp) Not Vista compatible?
    How To Install And Boot 145 Operating Systems

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. Arup

Arup Guest

Lets see if this would work out with Mandriva 2009.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

While I like the concept (a tutorial is underwat, btw), I think this approach is somewhat problematic:

- non-native speed.
    - you don't get to know how linux works.
    - you could accidentally delete the files.

Mrk

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This could turn into an interesting discussion vis-a-vis MrK's points.

Partitioned install?
    Virtualised Install?
    WinLinuxInstaller?
    Co_Linux?

Comments re ad v disadvantages ??

cf: Speed, 3D effects, HWare issues, bootloaders, 'the knowledge'....

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Partitioned install, the best to get everything right ...

Virtualized install, safest, but also the slowest and no 3D ...

Win install, not bad, slower, you don't learn things the way they ought to be.

CoLinux, nice concept ... except too buggy as yet, never got it running properly and that tells something ... about ... me.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.