WSA SafeStart Sandbox

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by m00nbl00d, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This is actually something I suggested last year, and I'm quite surprised nothing changed in the way it works. :blink:

Back then, I asked to be able to save pre-configured (by the user) processes, that the user could then launch using shortcuts from the Desktop or even have the shortcuts in the System Tools > SafeStart Sandbox by groups, for example.

It's quite annoying having to manually write or even copy and paste commands every single time one needs to open a given process with restricted rights.

Can this functionality be expected anytime soon? I believe there's been more than enough time to be implemented. I don't think something like that would require a lot of hard work. I mean, it just doesn't make much sense to have the SafeStart Sandbox functionality without being able to have pre-configured shortcuts. :ouch:

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

A process should only need to be started in the sandbox once or twice at most. This is not a prophylactic sandbox like SandBoxie, it's a "Test something you are unsure of to see if it's really bad or not, then, if it isn't bad, you can run it normally" sandbox.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It makes sense... because I'm sure 99% of WSA users can make such a distinction between what's good or bad. :rolleyes:

And the right definition of what SafeStart Sandbox is is: Execute suspicious programs in SafeStart Sandbox to limit their ability to modify the computer until you are sure they are legitimate.

And, that's the issue isn't it? Until you are sure...

Anyway, I personally do not use WSA, but I did offer my key to a relative, and I advise my relative to open downloaded files, such as PowerPoint files by first opening PowerPoint in SafeStart Sandbox. So yes, it makes sense, and quite a lot, to have the option to create shortcuts for applications.

Unless, of course, everyone thinks everyone can assess the danger of everything... But, then again, 100% of Windows users wouldn't need antimalware tools. :blink:

But... who am I to say what others know or don't know... lol

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is still on our roadmap but admittedly pretty far down on the list as it is a highly technical feature which isn't used by many users. We definitely still have it in mind, however! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.