WSA compatible with other AV

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by ams963, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I do not understand how such a full-fledged suite such as WSA can be completely compatible with another AV, IS or mega suite. Can anybody shed some light into this matter? I mean does using WSA with another AV not diminish or reduce it's protection capability to some extent?

In the other thread Joe said about sbie working it's way and Tzuk has to reduce sbie's protection to some extent to make it compatible because of the way sbie is designed. I wonder what functions would be reduced to make wsa compatible with another product doing exactly the same thing as wsa.

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Oh, how to....ponder the imponderable! :D

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

WSA 's protection is identical no matter what other AV you're using it with. If used alongside another AV, it just won't try to be the first to block a file. If the other AV misses it, then WSA will block it, but if WSA doesn't say anything when you have another AV installed, that's not because it wouldn't have said anything - it is just that WSA doesn't force itself to the "top", so to speak. You end up with layered protection without any sacrifice in security, although you don't have to use another security product alongside WSA.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah I see. Thx Joe. Now I understand. :)

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I have run WSA Essentials successfully along with AVG ISS and Avast ISS. My current favorite is WSA + Privatefirewall + MBAM Pro. Very strong yet light on my systems.:thumb:

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Removed WSA from one of my pcs. Too much slowdown in presence of EAM and WSA. Instead have put WSA in th other pc as the only standalone security product. Scan time of both products were okay since I've excluded wsa from EAM. But when opening browser, browsing(when browser is set in Protected Applications), opening files, opening different services like Control Panel, Windows Update, etc. Well maybe there is no conflict between the two. But the slowdowns are enough to make me put WSA in a pc where it will stay as a standalone product. Well so much for the compatible, part of the layered security approach AV. :rolleyes:

7. guest

guest Guest

I think you are not the good client for multi-layered config :p

Btw, im testing EAM+OAP+WSA :D

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How rude! :mad: I've been using various layered security setup for a long time. And I've used WSA and EAM for many months. I've found compatibility issues from time to time. Some I reported some I didn't. Emsisoft Support once was able to reproduce my problem in their pc and offered solution through beta update immediately. I also had Webroot Support team member once remotely connect to my pc to see the prob. Unable to find the cause of the prob he said I had too many security software in my pc at the same time(EAM+OA+WSA+MABM). When I removed WSA, everything worked fine and the prob was no more. I had also reinstalled WSA and removed EAM and the prob was no more.

9. PrevxHelp

I'll have our internal QA team take a look at this configuration. Could you let me know any other relevant points of your configuration so that we have the best chance of reproducing it?

Thanks!

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Just to clear things up, the problems I mentioned in post #8 was a just a reference to the history of compatibility issues I had. Somehow those probs were not apparent in my last experience with the combination.

Now I have the prob I have mentioned in post #6. And the setup was WSA + my signature(without Malwarebytes Antimalware).

11. PrevxHelp

What OS/Service Pack/Platform/Browser/SecureAnywhere product are you using?

12. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I have WSA with EAM and OA and ESET AV 6 Beta and MalwareBytes just for the hell of it and yes when I added WSA to that mix it did slow down a system when firing off things. I wasn't significant since it's 16GB of Ram on CoreI7-2 OC to 5 GHz on a SSD drive but it did slow it down. Most noticeable is that the Plasmid Icon thingy keeps working even when something has fired up and running.

Windows 7 64bit Professional (the one below Ultimate), Regular user (but all packages installed as Admin...which had to be done), up to date service packs and updates, Chrome 20 and IE 9, Sanboxie latest (slowdown occurs with and w/o sandboxie), THE WSA ultimate or whatever the highest with the free mobile phone thingy, if you need username associated with the account so you can probe the PC then PM me.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh can you kindly use only WSA, EAM and OA in realtime and remove the rest so that it mimics my setup and situation? Then see if you can sense any slowdowns although I doubt you will have any with that lighting fast pc configuration. But if you face say 5% slowdown in that pc it will be like 70% in my old machine and like 45% in the other.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I have put WSA back to my XP pc as a standalone product. But during the slowdown I had Win XP Home/SP3/32bit/Firefox and Internet Explorer/Essentials.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.