WSA and Hitman Pro Alert

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Victek, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a browser protection app called Hitman Pro Alert, which shows a "flyout" when the browser is first loaded to indicate that it's working. WSA Identity Protection blocks this flyout if it's set to "protect" the browser executable, but doesn't block it if set to "allow". Setting the Hitman Pro Alert executable to "allow" in the PC Security section doesn't change this.

More info here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2352572#post2352572

To what extent is protection reduced by changing the setting from "protect" to "allow"?

2. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I don't have that problem on XP 32. I think it's wise to give some information about your system when informing about bugs and incompatibilities.

3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Not seeing that problem here running Win7x64 Pro.
    The HMP.alert flyout shows with all my browsers - running in Sandboxie or not.
    All browsers showing as 'Protect'.

Attached Files:

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good point. I'm running WSA 8.0.4.66 and Hitman Pro Alert 2.6.3 on two computers, one with Windows 7x86 Home Premium SP1 and the other with Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1. The behavior is consistent on both machines - if firefox.exe or opera.exe are set to "protect" in WSA Identity Protection/Application Protection settings the Hitman Pro Alert flyout doesn't appear. If I change the setting to "allow" then the flyout does appear. Hitman Pro Alert has been added to the WSA PC Security Block/Allow Files section and set to "allow". Can you think of anything else that might be relevant? TIA

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's interesting. I don't know what's different on my two PCs that I'm seeing this. I'm also not the only one - there's another post in the Hitman Pro Alert thread where a user is seeing the same behavior.

6. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Happening here too.

First, it was working up until the latest 2.6.x versions of HPA.

My laptop: Win 8.1 x64 / WSAC 8.0.4.66 / HPA latest beta 2.6.3.74 / main browser Firefox 28.0.

No flyouts on browsers since the 2.5.x ---> 2.6.x upgrade of HPA. Also, on Process Explorer, HPA is NOT under the browser's process tree.

Maybe someone can figure out a solution.

Thanks! ^_^

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding Process Explorer and HPA appearing in the browser process tree, are you seeing it in any of the protected browsers? I'm getting the flyout for Opera, Firefox and IE, but I'm not seeing HPA 2.6.3 in the process trees of any of them.

8. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

Have you checked the Browser settings in HitmanProAlert v6.2.3o_O

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Flyout is set to show at browser start, Vaccination and CryptoGuard are enabled.

10. acooldozen

Must be a Windows 8 bug. I am using Windows7 64bit. I would send a bug report to Surfright....

Erik Loman <erik@surfright.com>

11. acooldozen

Also open WSA and under utilities/System Control/Start...............check and ensure it is set to allow.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I checked in this "start" section and hmpalert.exe is set to "Allow".

I'm running Windows 7x64 (post #4 shows my system details).

13. acooldozen

Post #4 details is not in the Utilities section of WSA. It is in the Identity Protection/Application Protection mode. Open WSA and click on Utilities cog/lower right/just above MyAccount/SystemControl/Start. See if it's listed and set to allow.

So sorry I was looking at the jpg in post 3. I am running on two identical machines the same as you with the same oS's and is operating perfectly. WSA 8.0.4.66 and Hitman Pro Alert 2.6.3 on two computers, one with Windows 7x86 Home Premium SP1 and the other with Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling HitmanProAlert??

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

So just to be clear by "working perfectly" do you mean that WSA Identity Protection applications settings are set to "protect" for Firefox and Opera and you get the flyout when you start them?

Yes, that's what I do with each new version - unistall/reboot/install new version.

15. acooldozen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.