WSA 2014 v8.0.4.12 Beta

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by Tarnak, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

One of the processes for WSA has restarted, and is using more CPU. Also, I have lost the padlock. Something is not right.

ScreenShot_WSA_v8.0.4.12_process restart_01.gif

ScreenShot_WSA_v8.0.4.12_process restart_02.gif

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I caught it...tricky to screen capture.

ScreenShot_WSA_v8.0.4.12_process restart_03.gif

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

WSA is definitely acting up.

ScreenShot_WSA_v8.0.4.12_acting up_01.gif

4. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Check your logs to see if an unexpected shutdown occurred, like:
    Tue 2013-08-27 06:10:18.0898 >>> Service started [v8.0.2.167]
    Tue 2013-08-27 06:10:18.0914 Terminated abruptly in the last session

If one of these is associated with each event log failure, that means something.
    (May be a different message in 2014)

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

This same kind of bug appears for me in Statistics View. I had reported it and Joe said it would be solved in the next build.:):thumb:

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We don't store a list of blocked websites in the UI, although you can see them in the log file (at the end of the scan log). As TH said, we are changing the web filtering components completely, and this has not yet been released to beta users.

7. PrevxHelp

Something is definitely acting up on your system - your PIDs are in the tens of thousands whereas they should normally be in the low-thousands. I suggest a reboot to ensure everything keeps running normally.

Have you changed anything recently (either within WSA or anything else?)

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@puff-m-d
    Execution History works here in x32bit. Bug appears only in your particular configuration. Very interesting. Hopefully Joe will notice here and will get a solution.:)

9. PrevxHelp

The option to disable it has been removed (as people didn't understand what it meant). If you had it disabled prior to the upgrade, it will remain disabled, so I suggest uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling to have it re-enable. If you're still experiencing problems with it, I may want to take a closer look, but it does seem isolated as we still haven't had similar reports.

Thanks!

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Thanks Joe,

I did a clean install of the closed beta and also when I noticed this issue was still here I did a reinstall (after uninstall and reboot). I am about 6 hours now since my last reboot (with no hibernation/sleep) and so far it is still working. From past experience, it will fail sometime this session again and require a reboot to get it working again.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Both my browsers firefox and IE are always in the protected mode. And Ctrl+0 always works. When NumLock is on, the zoom key combination doesn't work. When NumLock is off it works.

Seems like your situation and solution are completely opposite to mine.:argh:

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, I haven't changed anything, but after a reboot, WSA is back to normal.

ScreenShot_WSA_v8.0.4.12_process restart_05.gif

13. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

I see, but then if you want to allow a blocked website what are you supposed to do?

14. puff-m-d

Hello.

I do have a few of those entries in my logs but the times do not correspond to the failure of the execution history but they do seem to correspond to the shutdown or reboot of my system. I cannot associate them to any errors that I know of.

15. puff-m-d

Hello Joe,

The issue with execution history has happened a couple more times and a reboot always fixes it temporarily. I have ruled out hibernation/sleep as being the cause along with my other two ideas of it maybe related to screensaver or Windows 8 doing its automatic maintenance. I can find no pattern at all as to when or why it happens. Sorry I cannot be of much help.

16. PrevxHelp

You can click 'Allow' within the dialog - this will be changing in the new version but it will still have the same general concept. The list of allowed websites will be stored in the WRData folder, under wrURL, named Whitelist.txt.

Let me know if you have any questions!

17. zerotox

Thank you very much for taking time to answer me!

18. puff-m-d

Hello Joe,

I do not know if this will help you any but I have found that in addition to a reboot temporarily fixing the issue, I can also shut down WRSA and then restart and that will temporarily fix the issue too.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

First impression of the new GUI is I like it. The green/black is nice, and like how the black is light (or dark gray), versus something like Bitdefender.

I look forward to the new webfilter, as the current one I have been turning off.

I kind of miss the ability to tweak the resource usage, but am curious to monitor and see if it really is lighter than the last version.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have three times now had a issue where i uninstall it and then reboot then reinstall it and i have 2 desktop icons as well as two listings in the control panel? so it would seem it is not fully uninstalling. im going to do a fresh os install and try it again later to see if anything is conflicting with it.

21. zerotox

One other thing which is not very good for me - since there is no more an option to untick seeing Webroot in the Windows action center, now there is no possibility to use it alongside Windows Defender - it always disables it.

22. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It would be nice to know what kind of threat that was quarantined! There's no info on what type of malware WSA caught.

Untitled.png

23. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think the idea is to highlight the quarantined item and then click on Learn More.

24. PrevxHelp

That actually will only take you to the overall "Learn more about the quarantine" page, not more detail on the specific threat.

We don't list the threat name within the quarantine as there are many cases where something may have been removed but isn't specifically attributable to an individual threat (i.e. a malicious registry entry).

I do think there would be some value in showing the malware name when we do have it, but there are some complexities to making this happen.

I'll see what we can do - thanks!

25. PrevxHelp

Just to double check: is Windows Defender disabling itself on your system when WSA adds itself into the Action Center? We aren't specifically disabling Defender so if it is turning off, they must be doing something automatically. I agree that this would be worth adding the option back to control if that is indeed what's happening. Could you let me know what OS you're on?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.