Wow! I can't believe how light ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware is.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well it's true. LOL. Hey Hairy Coo, I installed ZAAS and will honestly keep it installed now as it's running well with Avast, and with no hit on my PC or Internet performance. I tried to use ThreatFire, and although I really liked it, I need a feature filled program like ZAAS to give me that warm fuzzy feeling all over. LOL. Plus it has an Allow and Deny button which TF doesn't, and memory usage aside, it runs as light as ThreatFire did. I am also beginning to think its protection capabilities may be on par with TF, at least from what I am learning about the Triple Defense Firewall in the Zone Alarm Forum. Looks like 19monty64 missed the chance to tell me Tic Toc this time. LOL.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Watch out for the ZA/Avast combo, there were known issues at one time, and last few times I tried those 2 together, I got a BSOD when downloading. Hopefully your experience will be better...

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Yeah I read about a few things in the Avast Forums that use to cause problems between the two, but they have been worked out. However there is still one conflict between a feature in both the ZA Pro and ISS versions and the Avast Web Shield. Can't remember exactly what, but you get a warning about it when installing ZA with Avast running. This feature that's slipping my mind isn't in ZAAS. Thanks for the concern though, and take care. I know who might have the answer. Hairy Coo where are you? We need an answer and a MOO. LOL.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That's the part that I find hard to believe!!! No doubt ZAAS offers (the same if not) better protection than TF, at least that's what I think. That aspect may be debatable using a router and Opera though. Not bashing but I've noticed slow-downs loading web-pages using ZoneAlarm, and especially Avast, which I recently used. I tested after a re4mat and any web-filtering is going to have some impact, measureable with "fasterfox-extension" (I think that's the one for timing) for comparison. Tick-tock...that "warm fuzzy" is a nice feeling, but having pages load f-f-fast gives me a better (lol) feeling. (Fast and easy, you know.)
    You brought it up lol you must be thinking of "new" security dLo's lol...
    P.S.-AntiVir, ThreatFire & Opera-beta only, since last re4mat for me. (f-f-fast!) (did you get an eMail offero_O to "Take advantage of this special offer for Webroot Desktop Firewall users. Buy Webroot Spy Sweeper now for only $19.95 - $10 off the regular price.") Hmm, WDFo_O

5. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You must be the first to say ZA is light. Look at your memory usage. I installed ZAAS when I got it free on patch tuesday. I was amazed at my slow boot ups and once I was up and running the 2 processes it uses combined are around 36K. Comodo and Online Armor are far lower. I currently use Online Armor and my memory usage with that is 10-15K. I big difference like almost half. BTW you dont need Threat Fire with a good virus scan and firewall.

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Wordward,

Knew you couldnt last long without a F/W -where else can you press all those pretty buttons ,to give you that feeling of absolute power.:blink:

Must say I'm also very happy with it-its very fast,both loading and surfing.

Subjectively it feels the fastest yet,but that's hard to measure.

Also used Threatfire for a while but came to the untested conclusion that the HIPS in ZA was quite sufficient.

But you just keep on experimenting to your hearts content.:)

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I must admit actually ZAAS looks really like the most comfortable firewall of all, sometimes a short hang up @winlogon but thats all.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

So you're calling me a liar huh 19monty64? LOL. Seriously though, if there is any kind of Browser speed differences between using ZAAS and Avast or OA Free and Avast I don't notice any. I have used WDF with AVG and will say my Internet speed may have been a slight bit faster, but it's hard to tell. As far as memory usage I don't care that much. I have used McAfee Internet Security Suite which used over 60MB of memory with all its processes and Blink which used even more, and neither one seemed to slowed down my web browsing or my 512MB of Ram PC. Right now I can run Media Player and write in a Corel Word Perfect Document, plus surf the web and 2 or 3 hours later my PC is still responsive. However when I have used other security combinations in the past and did this, I noticed my PC performance in opening and closing the programs would be much slower. I agree memory usage is very high with Avast and ZAAS, but the System Idle Process CPU usage remains between 98 and 99 which is how I measure lightness. Right now Firefox is at 63K of memory in Task Manager so should I use Opera? Noooo, it's all good yo. LOL. I am really trying to use the programs I like the most (so I stick with them) and yet offers good security without a big hit on PC performance of any kind. Other than the slowdown ZAAS does cause at the Welcome Screen, and a possible mega second difference in the browser speed because of the Avast Web Shield, I may finally be happy. Of course the ZAAS sub does run out in another 365 days.LOL. It actually does read 365 under the Overview Product Info screen, and yet I first used it back in November. Not sure what to make out it.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Woodward/Duke1959,

I thought you started writing a book. Think about the dead line. Opera is fast when you use your Ram to store temporary internet files, why don't you try (another good excuus for not writing your book).

Woodward I am really trying to use the programs I like the most (so I stick with them).

Seems you stopped writing the book and started practising for stand up comedien?

Regards

10. Hairy Coo

Yes,my subscription is also reading in my favour and I feel extremely guilty,so I'll be sending Checkpoint an email telling them about yours and mine.
    They can correct both,so we can sleep at night :p

Browsers are a personal matter,but I found Opera 'orrible.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hello Kees1958. Believe me it helps to have a sense of humor with the type of life I lived. However I do need to stay out of here and the Zone Labs Forum now, and finish this darn book. I have always appreciated your input about the many different security programs I have posted on in this forum and no offense is taken with what you said as you're right. Hairy Coo I have no problem with you alerting CheckPoint about the License time limit, but I may have to switch firewalls then. LOL. Just kidding. ZAAS and Avast are keepers now, and I am going to go Cold Turkey starting tomorrow with staying out of here until I'm finished my book. If I did decide to use any other firewall though, it would most likely be OA Free. Light, free, and pretty stable at this point. Take care me amigos.

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Woodward/Duke1959,

No write the book, become a stand up comedian and visist the forums in times when lack of inspiration/writers block is hassling you :) Besides you must think of creating a marketing hype when you launch your book. On line forums, blogs, what ever.

Regards Kees

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I will say one thing Kees1958. It is a whole different world in this forum and I believe there is a reason for why I found it. Part of the reason I believe is that I have actually made a friend from in here who inspires me at times to write what I do, but eventually as my life has shown, I will know the full answer to why I had this whole experience. As far as ZAAS, I just posted in the "other firewall" forum something that a Zone Alarm Forum person replied to me about ZAAS, and a link to a zdnet review of it that can be taken for what it's worth. I am very surprised at how well this version of ZAAS is running, and while I know there are still some bugs in a few of the other ZA security programs, so far this one has pleased an obsessive person such as myself enough to keep it. At least until my books finished that is. LOL.

14. Hairy Coo

That was a brilliant piece you wrote in the other thread,but you didnt tell us the answer to the million dollar question " 'as it got 'ips '' ?

Anyway-dont disappear again-just hang around and I'll ghost the book for you:D

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks, but I didn't write the piece in the "other firewall" forum about ZAAS. It was someone from the ZA Forum answering my question on what all the Triple Defense Firewall does to protect someones PC. I thought they did mention one of the three firewalls did work kind of like as a HIPS though.

16. The Mole

The Mole Registered Member

Greetings Wordward,

Looking over your many posts, you have covered a lot of ground checking out each security program. Excellent accomplishments, keep up the great work.

You should try out the new ZoneAlarm ForceField Beta program, you may become to like that even more than most of your other programs. If you are interested you can find all the info at the ZA forum, look for ForceField Public Beta Forum. It will tell you all about the program.

17. Hairy Coo

You are being far too modest-I know it was you under another name:D

Yes,I found your bit about the HIPS being there.

18. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I got ZAAS free on patch Tuesday. Used it for a week and went to OA. i was gettting that shut down error like many in the forums. I changed hungapptimeout to 6000 which helped. ZAAS also takes along time to boot up. I was getting Logitech Setpoint errors about every 3rd boot. And one more complaint is its a resource hog. With its 2 services it uses 36K. Overall its a good product I think but there are many other free ones. ZA should make a newer version of the Zone Alarm Free so we dont have to have the bloatness of ZAAS.

19. Hairy Coo

You have a problem,but that doesnt mean much.

Mine is working perfectly ,boots up immediately,no Logitech error.

Who cares whether it uses 36MB or 20mb-if this affects your choice-you really should get an up to date computer with plenty of memory.

My mem size is 2000mb-so you can see 36 mb as opposed to say 20mb, isnt the slightest bit important.

PS; you keep on saying "k"-where do you get this from -its either 36000 k or 36mb.

You also keep on using meaningless phrases like "bloat"

Yea-we all know you went to OA.,you've already told us about 120 times!

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just totaled up the memory usage for ZAAS and Avast, and currently the memory usage is over 111,000K. Really! But. My PC is as fast as when I had Avast and OA Free running together. Go figure. Virtual Memory which is a little more important, is around 84,000K. My System Idle Process which is very important runs between 98 and 99 CPU. What's all this mean? Use what you like and if your PC runs ok, then good.

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Your comment is uncalled for. I have a 2.8P4 overclocked to 3.2 GHZ with 1 gig of ram and a 7800GS EVAG Superclocked video card. My pc is fine. When you hit ctrl-alt-del and bring up your taskmanager your processes are in"K". Look yourself.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe that (the ZAAS memory usage), when I tried it a while back, it used upwards of 80+mb alone. I personally don't really mind how much ram something uses just as long as performance is good, meaning it doesn't make my system or functions sluggish etc..

23. Hairy Coo

Yes the mem usage is given as "K" (kilobyte) ,but I dont know why-you are quoting the wrong figures.

In both Windows Task manager and D Task Manager the figures are quoted as;

VS Mon.exe 29700k approx.

ZL client 6720 k approx.

Suggest you try out D Task manager,which is more informative for a start.

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

So you have 1gb of mem-which approx. equals 1000 mb .

Therefore, even in your case, whether your usage for the firewall is 36000k (36mb approx) or 20000k(20mb approx) -it isnt going to make any appreciable difference to your overall performance.

The difference is only 16mb-your total is 1000 mb

Think about it

24. Hairy Coo

Kerodo

Am intrigued by these high mem figures.

As mentioned in the previous post-I could only identify two processes running for ZA-totalling approx 36000k.

I am using D Task Manager,which shows the path.

Are you able to find more?

Just double checked with Process Explorer-still the same two!

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only details I recall was that there were a couple of scanning type processes which were resident eating a ton of ram, which I expected to stop or cease at some point, but never did. I admit I didn't research it further and just uninstalled it. Perhaps it's something that happens on some machines and not on others... but it was enough to discourage me... it just seemed unreasonably high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.