wow had not used avira for a while

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm running the premium on an Acer Aspire One netbook with a AMD Dual core C50 (1.0GHz) and 2MB DDR3 memory and agree it seems very light.:thumb:

2. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Running Avira I.S.2012 with App Guard...Avira running Cloud Speed...comparable to WSA Essentials. Sincerely...Securon

3. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Unfortunately for free users, the blocking of malicious websites has been removed in the free version of the webguard. It now only uses the same definitions as the regular guard and offers no extra benefits. It used to receive extra definition (webcat.dat) files that blocked malicious sites, but that is not exclusively for the paid versions.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah i am running the internet security i have not had a chance to test the free one yet i will this weekend i apologize its been crazy the last couple days i can say for those interested in the paid version its protection rocks.im really not sure of the people who say it doesnt have good zero day i went down the list one by one on malware domain and blacklist as well as the files i have on hand and it stopped everything on medium

5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I'm using Avira free now, happy with it.
    As my previous experiences showed (and other users feedback) it is very light both on RAM (below 30 MB on a W7 64) and CPU (negligible).

Just one question: for those using the Pro version, does the Web Protection slows down your browsing?

Thanks.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I like seeing that they ditched the Proactive module personally. Just another feature/module/"shield" creating more bloat and potential for conflict, and not really providing much security in the end. And this way they can focus on the real meat of the product more.

I wish more vendors would follow suit. IMO an AV should just be an AV. Leave the fluff & features to the suites. People that want stand alone products, in general want them because they have other products (i.e. HIPS/anti-ex./behavior blockers/sandboxes) already in place taking care of those other vectors.

I would sooner pay for the free versions of some of these AV's than the Pro/Paid versions. They're nice & trim/light, lower potential for conflict. My ideal real-time AV would have only on-access file scanning and nothing else.

7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It never has for me, on a number of computers. I've seen others mention it, but I have never experienced any such slowdowns.

It does make speed test results werid, though - it caches the traffic, scans it, then lets it all through at once, which can give some funny results.

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

@King Grub
    Thanks.

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Can the Avira free anti virus program be used as a on demand scanner..?
    Not running in realtime etc.Is this possibleo_O? :ninja:

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Agree.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I've had it happen a few times (in the past) where I felt it slowed down browsing. However I run it on one of my machines and have not noticed anything else, other than what you mentioned about speed test results being weird.

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Yes.
    Either during install or afterwards going to Control Panel/Programs.

13. The Red Moon

Thank you joxx.:thumb: :thumb:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Adding to Joxx's post, that's how I use it most of the time. Together with Sandboxie it makes the perfect solution even for slow machines. Another advantage of using it with Sandboxie is that you can install it without the webguard just in case you might want to have only the mainguard, leaving out the Avira SearchFree Toolbar.

15. zfactor

well been VERY VERY heavily maliciously browsing the last three days on this test system and not one thing has even been able to get far enough to do any damage. yes somethings downloaded and even let me attempt to extract them but were stopped cold. a few exe's downloaded and attempted to run and again were stopped. its been a while since i used avira and im a VERY surprised with these results. so much so i may even switch my long term affair with eset on my own personal machine over.. we'll see not making any rash decisions yet. imnot a person who switched out very easily it takes a lot of time for me to do that im a bit picky and when i get comfortable i dont like to change honestly. i dont mind testing but to actually make the change im a bit ocd with things like that. lol im going to continue my "malicious browsing" for maybe another week or two on this machine and continue to see how it does. so do not count avira out yet for those considering it.

even the firewall is decent not great but decent. what i most like about the firewall is the simple app control eset doesnt have. eset allows either auto or learn (oe a expert type mode) but when set to auto you can not go back in and say block a specific app from the internet quickly and easily unless you are using it in one of the more advanced modes. with a simple app based firewall like this it gets recognized the first time then you can simply open the gui and go and click block since it shows you the apps list. that is one thing i so wish eset would add to ess. im using ess as the comparison here because thats what i run. many suite allow simple app control similar to this but its something i miss when using ess's firewall for people like my mom say who doesnt want to be bombarded with pop ups but yet sometimes i do have her block something for testing or otherwise.

just some thoughts so far dont mean to offend or to promote or otherwise. just some thoughts on how well its performed for me. i do have some actua l test numbers but i know we are not supposed to post stuff like that any longer. my next testing will be panda is 2013 since i was lucky enough to get a lic from pbust (thank you for that) ill be putting that through the wringer very soon. overall very happy with avira so far and i do wish for more of a cloud based addition and maybe better huer. to their suite right now i cant complain because they seem to do excellent as is

16. The Red Moon

i cant use avira as an on demand second opinion because it wants me to uninstall kaspersky.too much hassle and i dont know a workaround.:ninja:

17. Trooper

Glad to hear the positive stuff about Avira zfactor. Running it on two machines now with no issues so far to report.

@Beethoven1770

Yeah I would not do that, why not just run Hitman Pro?

18. The Red Moon

Ive got hitman pro also.
    Would have been nice to have avira also just for another opinion.although i do have reasonable faith in kaspersky to protect the machine.:argh: :ninja:

19. Trooper

I hear ya. I think Avira has the cloud scanner. Not sure if its out of beta just yet though.

20. The Red Moon

kaspersky is ok.but it limits your choices in av etc.its either all or nothing with kaspersky.
    Ive been thinking of using the windows firewall and a av of my choice.more flexibility that way.:thumb: :ninja:

21. Trooper

Well Kaspersky is good stuff for sure. Top notch av in my opinion.

22. zfactor

kaspersky is top notch detection and as ive said before i would prob run it if they could make it a LOT lighter on the system

23. Trooper

KIS 2013 is lighter than 2012. However for lightness and simplicity, I like Avira. Though I do run KIS 2013 on my kids laptop.

24. The Red Moon

Thanks for the assurances on kaspersky.
    It has not slowed down the computer at all really.it uses roughly 60-70mb but it doesnt seem to affect things.My only concern is the amount of svchost.exe running,i have twelve of them.
    Is that normal.?:blink: :ninja:

25. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think it is, I got 11 of them running in W7 and got nothing but SBIE running. In XP, I have 6 or 7 at all times.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.