wow, Defender finally caught something.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xan K, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan K

xan K Registered Member

after plugging in a friend's usb flash drive Windows Defender picked up 3 infected files. they were attempting to change my home page. the odd thing is that my main AV didn't get it and Defender did. it's the first time that Defender catches something in my system. :D

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Defender has improved quite a lot and for a x64 version of Windows, it remains one of the few legit true x64 apps offering HIPS and system file protection.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I allow Windows Defender to run on my Vista system. I have run GMER, SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), MalwareBytes (MBAM) but those never find anything, so I must be doing something right running these.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dont forget you defender updates multiple times a day.
    you can get the updates manually from here

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

lodore, that's a good point to always bring up. Most people wait until the Yellow shield appears in the tray notification area, yet WD is updated several times a day. I have set WD to do a daily scan and just before it runs, I go to the mentioned page and download & install the latest definition.

Nice to read that WD snared something that others missed!

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Maybe someone could ask Matt to do a windows defender prevention and removal test?
    I notice he always uses xp in his virtual machines.
    if he has a vista disc he could download lastest defs and see how good defender is.

7. xan K

xan K Registered Member

I must add that I'm using Windows 7 and dunno if there's really a difference between this and Vista's.
    I didn't know about the definition updates page, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.