Would you use AVG (free) as your only AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TimeKeeper, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

For those of you who use AVG, go here and see if it alerts on trying to download these. [eicar test files]

http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html

It DID NOT for me, I wanted to make sure.... I tried AVG last week as a backup for my daughter's PC with PC-Cillin on it. I uninstalled it, made PC-Cillin as backup and installed KAV4.5 PRO as main RTM.

If it could not catch those tests BEFORE it downloads, it's not a goer for me as far as I am concerned.

Yes, they *may* be safe until you try ti execute them [AVG did alert when I dbl clicked them after dl], but that's not the point for me.

AVGv6 FREE was the one I tried.

Cheers, TAS

edit: Just a side note in case some of you are very observant. :cool:
    The filename on KAV's alert does not say eicar.com.... that's because KAV renames the file with random letters/numbers and quarantines it so it's useless. :D

Attached Files:

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, that's interesting, because AntiVir PE actually does alert you when you try to download the test file. :eek:

(Somehow, I get the feeling that AntiVir won't be free much longer...)

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Tas,

I've just tried that 'eicar' doodad and would you believe, my AVG Free snuffed them out immediately!.....and that was trying the 'com' 'zip1' and 'zip2'.....so I'm very pleased with that Mate....Thanks for the Test...

Cochise, :cool:

4. Tassie_Devils

Good stuff Cochise.... I looked everywhere for a settings in AVG, but could not get it to detect at all on the commencement of a dl. Only after the fact.
    I must have tried at least 10 times.. I even went to the troulbe of uninstall/reinstall. The only options for a setting change I found was not available in the free version it said.

That's why I posted and asked someone to try it as that is a crucial factor in any decision on whether to use or not. you don't want a damn file dl'd in the first place IMO.

so glad it worked for someone else.

Cheers, TAS

5. TimeKeeper

TimeKeeper Guest

Tas

Could it be that you are trying to download those files with Firefox, instead of IE? Because in all my anti-virus tests, if i tried to download the Eicar.com files, none of the AV's would warn me if i was using FF, but if i used IE, they always warned me, and deleted the files. I think it has something to do with the FF download manager.

6. Tassie_Devils

That *could* be it... but if you look at my screenshot you will see KAV grabbed it... that was with FF. I did think maybe it was the browser when it first happened and instead of changing, it was easier to immediately re-enable KAV and tried, then once I had KAV grabbing it regardless of browser, I did not consider that an issue so did not follow up any further. :doubt:

Good point though. ;) Maybe it was just KAV better at getting it thru FF?

Guess someone else will have to verify if using AVG/IE/FF to test with.
    I don't have the dl any longer to reinstall also and don't feel like going thru the hassle of registering again.

Cheers, TAS

7. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Well, with Firefox it is probably not quite as serious an issue, I would think...

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

My NOD32 alerted right when I clicked the d/l link, and I am using Firefox.

9. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

This is my experience testing with Eicar......

AVG Pro 7

eicar.com..........cought it before loading.
    eicar zip1/zip2....cought them after opening.

Trend Micro (PC-cillin 2004)

eicar.com..........cought it before loading
    eicar zip1/zip2....cought them before opening

Panda Platinum 7

eicar zip1/zip2....cought them before opening

KAV 5.0 Trial Version

eicar zip1/zip2....cought them after opening.

The way KAV 5.0 performed really surprised me. I honestly thought KAV would catch them before opening. I was seriously thinking of purchasing KAV 5.0. Not too sure now. I know, a lot of people say it doesn't matter if an AV doesn't catch the nasties while they are in zip form because they are harmless. But I like the way Panda Platinum and Trend Micro dectect the zips. Just my personal feelings. I think I'll stay with my Panda Platinum for now.

I'm not an expert. I just ran these tests like any computer user would do if they came across the Eicar Tests.

OS is XP Home. Using IE 6.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Did anyone mention that using IE is like wearing a big red bullseye? :p

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Managgia

You have to use "maximum protection", if you do, kav 5.0 will detect it before opening. :)

12. Mannaggia

Hi Don. I did have the real time scanner set to maximum protect. It didn't catch the eicar zip and zip2 until I tried to open them. I thought maybe something might have gone wrong when I installed KAV, so I uninstalled and re-installed it. That didn't help. I guess it just didn't want to work on my computer.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. Mannaggia

15. Johkaz

Johkaz Registered Member

Hi to all,

Well, i can only take my hat off to everyone on this forum!
    There was i thinking that i was safe using just AVG as my main and only Anti-Virus program.
    But, after following a link from someone on this posting.
    I did an online scan with the RAV online scanner, and i was shocked!!!
    The result is below, and am now relegating AVG to the second line of defence as an On-Demand scanner.
    And i have downloaded Avast Free as my main Anti-Virus program.
    Because, even when i pointed AVG to the folders, it still found nothing.

The scan result is, and i am now wondering if it's safe to remove them?

Scan started at 11/08/2004 23:14:38

Scanning memory...
    Scanning boot sectors...
    Scanning files...
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Webroot Shared\Internet.dll - Backdoor:Win32/Ferat.1_0 -> Suspicious
    D:\Program Files\Common Files\Webroot Shared\Internet.dll - Backdoor:Win32/Ferat.1_0 -> Suspicious

Scanned
    ============================
    Objects: 100193
    Directories: 5748
    Archives: 9129
    Size(Kb): -1765872
    Infected files: 0

Found
    ============================
    Viruses found: 0
    Suspicious files: 2
    Disinfected files: 0
    Mail files: 16818

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Managgia

Don't know why it says so on the viruslistwebsite. because it most certainly does detect all four eicar test,always have. I didn't realize you were talking about the real time scanner, eicar.com and eicar.com.txt are detected when you try to download it, the two zip's when opening the zip, or via on-demand scanner. :)

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Anyway - more in line with the thread starter's topic - I DO use AVG as my only AV - ony my secondary PC's. While my machine runs NOD32, I am also in DMZ with this machine on my router. The other 2 are not (obviously) and are used by my daughter and my wife. My wife has been carefully taught by me about the email-opening and other such security issues, and my daughter is 5 - plays games and a few online games - that's it. Those two machines (matching IBM ThinkCentres with some extra RAM) have had no trouble. Of course, those machines also use SWB, Ad-Aware, Firefox, Spybot, SPF, Pegasus and Mailwasher (for my wife) and EasyCleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.