Would you use AVG (free) as your only AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TimeKeeper, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimeKeeper

TimeKeeper Guest

Hi

Just wondering what people think of the idea of using AVG (free) as their only anti-virus? Do you think it's good enough? Also how would you say it compares to AVG (pro) version. Thanks for any help.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Personally I would not use avg as my only antivirus. There are to many better av's available. There are people out there that use only avg pretty much without problems but I am not willing to take the chance. You can check the detection history of avg here

3. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

No, never. Thank you!

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you are restricted to free AV programs and you like AVG, I would still use an additional free AV such as F-Prot for DOS, BitDefender or eScan's AV Utility as a backup scanner. Or you could run one of the on-line AV scanners frequently to backup AVG.

In addition I would also think about installing a free antitrojan program for another layer in your defense.

However, at the present time there are some 'good' offers for commercial AV's which will give you better protection than AVG or AVG Pro; for example Command Antivirus for $15 and AVK for $9.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I did this for a while. While I never had any problems, I think I was lucky. If I had to use only free AV software, I would use AVG Free as my resident AV along with another product (F-Prot?) as my on-demand scanner.

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

No, never. I wouldn't use it period, even with another AV.

7. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

No, wouldn't use it either. There are a few better free ones in my opinion, Bitdefender, Avast Home, even Antivir. :)

8. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: *puppy*

I am now using AVG (FREE) and find it easy to use and maintain. I also find that it updates it's VDF's on a frequent basis.

I tried AVAST and found it to be cumbersum.

I used AntiVir/PE and it's (Internet Updater) is a hunk of junk .

I have not tried bitdefender (Perhaps some comments on it)?

I also use a2 (No problems).

I also use adaware (No problems).

I also use sypblaster (No Problems).

I also use spybot (No Problems).

Thanks
    Wildman

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

There would be no harm in having a weekly online scan to compliment AVG and enharnce your protection. Its free to do so . I use the RAV online scan weekly . http://www.ravantivirus.com/

10. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

avg is ok - avast home better as it has more protective features. i like avast.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

12. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

i ditched avg free cuz it lagged behind with updating. it did however, catch viruses that norton missed, i use zonealarm pro over the free version because i found unless checked frequently, it allowed nasties to write itself in to freely access the internet. with the pro version any changes require my password. the pro version also has mailsafe and automatically quarantines any infected attachments.

blackspear the other freebies such as ewido and script defender interest me. will check them out. am running a clean puter [2 yrs. +] and tests indicate i do not exist on the internet nor can tests fool my zonealarm pro.- must live a charmed life well sort of. :D

13. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I would most certainly not use AVG as my only AV. If I used it, I'd want a good free backup AV, like F-Prot for DOS, and maybe BitDefender Free.

14. TimeKeeper

TimeKeeper Guest

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

15. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I am currently using AVG as my only AV, but only temporarily until I decide which one I want to buy (probably NOD32). I have pretty safe browsing habits though, I always keep up on critical updates, use Firefox, run ad aware and spybot, don’t use any type of P2P program, don’t download anything unknown, barely use my e-mail and I never open ANY attachments, I also don’t visit any adult or sketchy websites. So I am not too worried but I want to get a good AV for piece of mind.

16. kloshar

Isn't this a little bit paranoic?

I use p2p programs, happy open file attachments ... so I can see that my antivirus really works. And it does its job very good!

17. Matt_Smi

Hahah…Yes, I have OCD.

18. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Each to their own Kloshar...

Cheers :D

19. kloshar

And what is OCD? ;)

20. Matt_Smi

OCD= Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and I don’t think I really have it, but I am pretty obsessive about some things, such as computer security and neatness for example.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  21. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

That description would mean that I (and I suspect a lot of folks around here) have OCD as well. :D

22. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Sure, it might be a little paranoid. But remember that the only thing that can really protect you from malware is a healthy dose of paranoia. :D

23. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

No, I would no longer use AVG as my first line antivirus defense. I've mentioned on some other thread that I did use AVG exclusively for a couple of years -- years ago, and it never let me down. The Internet is a more dangerous place today. I don't think AVG (at least their free version) has kept pace.

There are other, better, free av's available. Personally, I think it's wiser to bite the bullet and select a good pay antivirus if at all possible. There are many listed right here on this site.

24. kloshar

OK, never say never -> I even downloaded AVG 6 and tried it.

Very dissapointed!

I downloaded some viruses from Kazaa and started them. There was no response from AVG. What the hell?

I used RAV online virus scann so I checked if downloaded files were really viruses and they were. I thought:"Keep this AVG **** away from me!"

And then I scanned my disk with AVG, and ... miracle - it found all viruses. (they were just Beagle.Z)

But I was still unhappy because AVG didn't detect them when viruses were downloaded and when I run them.

I don't know what to say ... maybe dissapointed or maybe happy. Who knows.

25. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:-*

Good information. It would be more helpful if all would indicate why they think the way to do however.

I don't know if any program is better than another, but I do know which ones work for me and why. I also know if I don't like a program and why.

Rember some of us are novices at these computer things, so please keep it simple and informational.

Thanks

Wildman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.