Would you prefer a tablet?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Dec 29, 2013.

?

Would you prefer a tablet?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2014.
  1. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to my Laptop

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to my Desktop

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes - I'd prefer a tablet to both my Laptop and Desktop

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No - please mention why would you think so

45 vote(s)
    84.9%
  1. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

No. As I sit here typing from my keyboard using both hands instead on one finger. I like my rodent and large screen too.

My smarter-than-me-phone does just as much as any tablet anyway.

2. guest

guest Guest

I borrowed my mother's 3.8" screen smartphone sometimes, and no matter how many times I tried it, it's still too big for me. Well, I'm just using mobile phones like how I use them 8 years ago. If you're saying that it's too uncomfortable to type on such a small screen size, the touchscreen itself is already hellish for me to begin with. :p

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No. At work I use only desktops, and at home I like a good monitor :). As Peter2150 wrote: " So why would I want a tablet. "

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

A friend got a tablet over the holidays. Didn't notice the brand, just the Google OS. She asked me to make it work with her home wireless. This was the first time I've used a tablet or the Google OS. It was more than enough to convince me that I'd have no use for one even if it was given to me. Besides being completely annoying, I have to wonder how long that touch screen will hold up in an environment where the users hands weren't always clean, like a mechanic or machine repairman. There's no way I could tolerate that on-screen keyboard for more than a few minutes. I'll admit to being quite set in my ways, but every time I try out something new like these or smartphones, the more set in my ways I get. I don't see how these can be called progress.

5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Tablets will eventually evolve into dumb down laptops. Surface is already doing it with the attachable keyboard. It will be a huge plus for the big corporations as they will have completely control over the end product and its entire ecosystem. That's why Valve is moving away from Windows into open source. In my eyes it's a win win situation. People who don't value having freedom of choice will settle on something like iPad + keyboard for the primary computer while those that do will go into Linux. Im keeping my fingers crossed for Valve to help Linux breakthrough into the young crowd of the gamers who inevitably become the future power users.
    To sum it up, IMO computer world will become very polarized over those that are okay with IPad/Android type devices as their primary computers and those who are power users that will more and more go into Linux as Windows becomes more and more closed down.

6. Sirwriter

Sirwriter Registered Member

I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops along with one tablet. For lightweight stuff when I'm out a tablet is okay. I gave it to my granddaughter. Tablets are just too small and flimsy, and a laptop is no problem to take along.

7. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Yes, I don't really like laptops all that much, even though I use one for work (albeit when at my desk with a dock and dual monitors). At home, I much prefer a desktop with a dedicated large monitor.

Everyone is correct, tablets do not replace laptops (or desktops for that matter) for anything involving content creation... as opposed to simple content viewing. Tablets are great for content viewing, though. The huge tangible benefit in that point is that when I am on personal time off (PTO) from work, and vacationing somewhere, I can take my tablet... and even if someone rude from work calls me up I can honestly say "Nope, I can't help, I don't have my laptop with me." :p

Heck, even the TSA views tablets and laptops differently. When I travel with a tablet, I don't have to do that whole unpack-your-laptop-from-your-carry-on-bag dance that you have to do. They don't seem bothered by just leaving tablets in the bags. That's a big plus right there! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.