Would you buy a PC with things pre-installed?

Discussion in 'polls' started by computer geek, Apr 17, 2008.

?

Would you but a PC with software pre-installed?

1. yes

24.4%
  2. no

41.5%
  3. depends on software

24.4%
  4. no, but if it is very good, yes.

9.8%
  1. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Well, would you?
    mine had bigfix junk and stuff like that which only takes mem up and hasn't bothered me about anything in a year!

2. computer geek

I set it up now, can you see it now?

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

4. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I would prefer to install all my own. But as a practical matter, I have usually been able to find a "package" that saves a lot of money. I then uninstall what I don't use.

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I voted yes, since I always format my new PCs...:D

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont even buy prebuilt computers.

But if I got a free computer, I would just format the disk. Problem solved.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

The same, who knows, what all was preinstalled except software as for the hardware, prebuild PC ussually lacks quality. :rolleyes:

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Nope, I want to decide from scratch (hardware and software) what I have installed in my computer. If I want something I buy it stand alone.

9. computer geek

I really hate all that junk that comes meddled in.....

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I bought a Dell Dimension ala carte. The only software I had bought installed was Microsoft Office at a savings. I didn't get away scot free though, because thinking she was doing me a favor, the sales person included Norton Security Suite free. As soon as I had the computer set up, I uninstalled that baby before it had a chance to get its tentacles into the system. I also got a free copy of a photo editing app which I still use, and a record burning app that I still use. I'm happy to say I didn't get a lot of garbage included that would have had to be uninstalled.

11. HURST

HURST Registered Member

My Dell Inspiron came full of junk 2 years ago... absolutely bloated

12. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

signed.
    But for me it was back in 2001, i think. Full of stuff, which i don't need and which caused lots of problems, since i was not so experienced. Burning software had to be patched at first to run under a LUA. Some programs were not easy to uninstall. Even win2k seemed not to be properly installed.
    Crap: PictureIt, Encarta, MS Works Suite (with some kind of Word2000 "light"), Norton AV, "dellware",....
    Would have liked to have the hard disk partitioned.

I would like to pay less, and have an empty hard disk. I own everything i need or i would like to buy that software i really need. Otherwise i would format the hard disk first.

13. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Actually, I heard somewhere that Dell's are cheap because of the "bloatware"...they get money for installing that crap on shipped PC's...don't know how true that is though... At least in the US if you buy a Dell you can choose "no security"...here in my country I'm forced to receive mcAfee...

When I ordered mine, I asked if I could get it with a blank disk, and no OS and software, since I was planning to install Ubuntu, but they said they'd could not sell it cheaper, that they HAD to send it with XP preinstalled, but as I wanted to format the disk, they wouldn't send the XP CD.... I got it later mailing their support...

still I would buy another Dell...

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't like pre-installed computers, I'm only asking for the installation CD's (Windows, drivers, etc.).
    Sometimes I get extra software on these CD's, like Nero, ... I usually don't use them, most of them are out-of-date or have poor features or are simply crap.

15. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

Once i read a site, how to get back a refund from computer vendors when you are not willing to use the preinstalled OS (i.e. not accept the EULA). It is not an easy task, but it will be possible, depending on your stamina ;)

Concerning the Dell Laptop (it was Dell Inspiron8000) it still works fine, the high resolution (1400x1024) display is still excellent, only the keyboard does not work properly anymore. But this is my own fault, i think i have lost to much stuff in it (tobacco, etc.). I tried vacuum cleaning, but this didn't help.
    All in all, i would also buy again from Dell, if so. But i would like to have a discount and get an "empty" laptop :D

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'll never forget my first computer in 1997. It was a Compaq, and it came with no less than 10 or 15 installation disks for every crap app you can think of. All of which was out of date. Today I understand that HP is one of the biggest offenders. I play with them in the stores, and there are scores of icons on the desktop for all sorts of apps, most of which are trial copies that all have to be uninstalled.

17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Same here!

18. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'd prefer the option of installing my own. One company sells their computers with XP on board, but also has Vista ready to install if you want it. I ran into another that had Norton and some other software sitting on the desktop. You could install or delete - your choice.

If I had to buy a computer today, just give me XP Pro. If other software comes with it, give me the CD's and let me pick and choose.

19. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Have always built my PC's. But if I did buy one, it wouldn't matter. Like WFUser and Hurst, repave and reload.

20. Beto

Beto Registered Member

Previous experience shows that approx. 30% of pre-installed applications are neat to have ( and cheaper too) and 70 % are nothing but useless applications with pop-up balloons to upgrade to the full version: just more junk to uninstall.

Sometimes the uninstalling is a real pain in the neck as a lot of these applications are perniciously coded to be intentionally hard to uninstall.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have had good success with prebuild computers from Velocity Micro, as they don't put any "crap" on them. Currently in the market for a new laptop, and very surprised at the changes at Dell. They are now including the "media" ie Windows CD, and a CD of drivers with the system. Also no crap software and no recovery partition. This however is only on their business line, not home line.

Note that if you buy a Dell and format and install a clean operating system, you in essence void the warranty. True also of IBM.

Pete

22. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

My sister-in-law purchased her first personal computer several years
    ago. A nice machine - Sony Vaio notebook. Trouble is it came with
    heavy stuff installed incl. Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop/Elements/Premier,
    NIS, Microsoft Works, Vaio Media stuff, HP Photo stuff, the
    obligatory rescue/recovery disc plus so many other programs it boggles the
    mind.
    Unfortunately she has no idea how to put it all to use, and in any case
    only trusts Microsoft, so getting her to do a wipe and clean install with
    programs she could easily learn to use (eg. Photofiltre instead of Adobe)
    is fruitless. :)

23. HURST

HURST Registered Member

At least she only trusts MS...it would be worse if she would install everything that gets in her way :D

24. computer geek

If they bloated the new computer, and the user was new to computing, that would give a false impression of the company, and they may want a refund,
    So, whats the buissness? Of course, they have sponsers, but is it really worth the effort when many people just format their drives?

25. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

I have bought two computers from Velocity Micro. Both had very little preinstalled stuff. Dell and HP now almost always come loaded with preinstalled software except I think if you by the business version of the computers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.