Would this work?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Soon will be purchasing a new computer from a manufacturer that still offers WindowsXP. So I don't need to upgrade a bunch of softwares and get a new printer, and since the next Windows is just two years away, I will probably get another XP system.

So I don't have to reinstall all my security programs and bring them up to date with their signatures, remember all my settings and changes that I have made over the past five years, etc., etc., etc., would it be possible to recover by using an Archive, transferring my current XP onto the new computer? I know that there would be Microsoft Product Activation issues from my old Windows suddenly finding itself on an entirely new system; I would have to work that out with Microsoft.

But is it even possible to do this. The MBR would be different, among other things, would that make this type of recovery impossible? Thanks.

Acadia

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Unless the new computer is IDENTICAL to your current one, I expect lots of problems. If Windows will boot at all.

Usually there are so many hardware differences that you need to start from scratch.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks wilbertnl, yeah, I've been doing some research and it looks like it could get messy, will have to reinstall everything from scratch. Oh, well, at least this way I'll be starting over with a fresh computer. Might even get Vista after all.

Which raises another question: does FirstDefense work as well on Vista for you fellows as it does on XP?

Thanks,
    Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I used FDISR under vista, and it works. My issue is Vista itself doesn't work as well for me.

Acadia to do what you asked about, you could use ShadowProtect and it's HIR to get up on the new system. But you still would have to update drivers. I like to start clean.

5. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

if u transfer the os as it is it wont work for 100% coz hardware difference (motherboard chipset etc...)

what maybe u can try and according to it specification should work is "acronis workstation with universal restore " which support backup and restore from dissimilar hardware.

also SP support this feature backup/restore from dissimilar hardware

chers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I also like to start clean. I have no confidence that any program, and tha includes SP, can give you anything better than second best when transfering from one machine to the next. As a stop gap measure then fine but as something that a user would wish to do then - no way. Clean start on every new machine and the image for the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.