Would SAS offer another degree of protection to Nod

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Monkey_Feces, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

After reading some recent threads about complaints that nod doesn't pick up adware (or certain general types of malware) and its detection rates against brand new threats are slow, I have decided I need an extra safety net.

I first considered getting antivir without installings its guard, but I decided against it since I was scared of conflicts even with the guard absent.

I'm not exactly sure what SAS scans for, but will it fill some holes in Nod32, or will it mostly overlap?

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

NOD32 isn't that bad at keeping a PC clean (provided you configure it correctly and don't disable too much of its features), but to clean up an already infected PC you would most likely need something more than just NOD32 (speaking from experience). But that is the case with most antiviruses anyway. SUPERAntiSpyware is a good choice, it is very thorough when it "cleans". According to their FAQ, SUPERAntiSpyware scans for (and removes): "spyware, adware, malware, dialer, worm and keylogger components and applications". I'd say they cover just about all types of malware except from viruses/file-infectors.

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It's always good to run more than one "layer" of protection, no single product, including SUPERAntiSpyware can catch everything on a given day. SUPERAntiSpyware is designed to "get along" with other anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. You can always run it "on demand" to check your system periodically.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

On my PCs at home, I run NOD32, ZoneAlarm 6.1 (free), BOClean, SAS Pro and MJ Registry Watcher. And I do as much of my surfing as a Limited User as I can. They all run great together and I have never had any conflicts.

Since they all run from their own (different) databases, they don't always overlap on everything they cover. So layering the protection of more than one product should give a PC better protection than one product alone can provide. (Which is a key reason I am against security suites. No one anti-malware company gives the best protection for everything!)

IMO, I don't agree that in general, NOD32 is slow to respond. There are several objective tests over at av-comparatives that indicate that NOD32 is one of the best AVs at catching new, unknown viruses/trojans etc. And it consistantly (objectively) tests as one of the better overall AVs one can currently use.

Is NOD32 perfect? No. But neither are the other competitors. The "other" guys aren't always first out with new definitions either. Something many forum posters often forget or ignore...

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And did you find a solution to solve this problem, because I'm one of these posters, who never forgot or ignored this. ?

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm not sure what you want me to say...

After re-reading my thoughts, I'm not sure how else I can say what I wrote. NOD32 isn't perfect. Neither are the others. No one company is always first with new anti-malware definitions. If someone believes that there are companies that are always first, then they have their reasons for holding those beliefs. My thoughts were that they either forget or ignore that there aren't any perfectly updating anti-malware companies.

Erik, I have no memory of reading anything you have ever posted regarding NOD32. If you feel I was writing any of this post toward you personally, I can assure you I was not. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Personally ? I just asked a question, if you didn't solve the problem, it's OK with me.

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I'd recommend keeping a backup scanner or 2 regardless of what AV you have... there's always a possibility for something to get through and SAS is probably one of the more advanced AS scanners out there, so there's no harm in using it... I use SAS to scan once every few months (just encase something squeezes past my AV)

9. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

To me SAS (and many other programs) can offer additional system protection functions to those by NOD32. For example, the ability by SAS to block the homepage inside IE from being changed outside SAS's own GUI offers a little protection not provided by NOD32.

10. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

SAS in its current build has the ability to see many rootkit trojans that NOD32 in its current build is unable to see once they have loaded.

This becomes an issue in realtime when NOD32 does not know the *dropper* and thus the rootkit is loaded and NOD32 is then blind to those loaded trojans.

As always a layered approach towards detections is always the best approach:thumb:

11. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

From your tests, did SAS stop rootkits like Rustock A/B when they are downloaded and run in memory? Or did SAS only catch them when the user carried out a lengthy on-demand scan (including ADS) ?

Thanks.

12. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Soz i do not have Pro installed but hopefully will test sometime soon inbetween the malware hunting spree's:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.