Would ESS (miniport driver maybe?) stop my network from syncing at 1Gbps?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by probedb, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. probedb

probedb Registered Member

Hi folks,

I'm having a regular problem with my PC to do with syncing on my network.

Everything else except the ADSL router shows connected at 1Gbps.

I've tried both onboard network cars and a D-Link PCI card, none will regularly sync at gigabit speeds.

I've tried new cables etc to no avail.

The only thing commonality is ESS. When I click OK after looking at a network connections properties it always attempts to install the 'Eset Miniport Driver' so I'm wondering if that will affect it?

Any ideas?

System as reported by ESS4:

Virus signature database: 4297 (20090801)
    Update module: 1028 (20090302)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1229 (20090724)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1095 (20090727)
    Archive support module: 1100 (20090801)
    Cleaner module: 1043 (2009072:cool:
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1012 (20090526)
    Personal firewall module: 1050 (20090625)
    Antispam module: 1011 (20090114)
    SysInspector module: 1212 (20090414)
    Self-defense support module : 1005 (20081105)

WinXP Pro SP3....

Many thanks,

Paul.

2. thewiz

thewiz Registered Member

Hi Paul,

Sorry for stating the obvious - I take it you were able to sync and remain connected a 1Gbps before installing ESS4?

I've sometimes encountered problems with letting network cards "autonegotiate" with the other end point... While my PC's NIC would happily say "Connected at 1Gbps", the router would report 100Mbps.
    If you can, it may be an idea to change the network card to "1Gbps, Full Duplex" to see if it helps (providing the router can keep up too). :)

ESS3 and 4 seems to install a firewall driver onto each NIC on your PC in order to assist in network/app filtering and to monitor activity etc. If you can, it may also be an idea to untick "ESET Personal Firewall" on the active network card (if you haven't done so already), restart the PC and see if that helps.

Does it do that every time you access the network card's properties? It should just install once during ESS installation.... weird!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. probedb

probedb Registered Member

Well I've been using it for that long I don't remember any more but it seems to be the only commonality seeing as it does it with different network cards.

I've just raised a ticket with Eset as it's failing to install the Miniport driver due to some access problem....means the firewall isn't logging anything....just better actually be working that's all I can say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.