WOT works or not works

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Sampei Nihira, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've been on and off with WOT for quite sometime now. I'm currently not using it. Gonna use it soon. I completely agree with Joxx

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Now if all WOT users are like you... :doubt:

3. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Hmm didnt know about Webutation. It uses Norton Safeweb, WOT and Google Safebrowsing?
    Its much better then Wot alone then. Especially because it uses Norton Safeweb too.
    :thumb:

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I used Webutation last year. It was cumbersome, slow and full of bugs.:thumbd: Has it improved?

5. cdnsempre

cdnsempre Registered Member

Try Traffic Light on Google Chrome Extension on google Store:thumb:

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

After reading some of these comments, I just dumped WOT. I've used it for several years as a "security" tool, but I sure don't need it for social, political or religious input.

7. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

You've used WOT for several years but dumped it because of some of these comments.
    You're the dream target of those who resume long ideologies in short sentences.
    You should had lived in
    Russia at the beginning of the century (XX)
    Italy in the twenties
    Germany in the thirties

Because you live now let me reassure you: the crisis is over, we'll just have to confiscate your savings so no one else does.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

WOT is not just about malware prevention. There are other categories that it takes into account too. When one make comparisons to other 'tools' that focus on malice such as BD Traffic Light, Norton DNS, one is only merely seeing the glass as half-empty than acknowledging it as half-full.

All of the explanation needed are on their FAQ page. Have a look at How WOT ratings work

Despite that, some may still think that WOT is useless from a reliability point of view. To put it bluntly, I don't really care that much about that aspect of it.

What I'm interested in is mainly 1 thing: the comments by WOT users. Sometimes, I just want an easy-and-quick way of finding out the opinions of other web users when I come across certain links/sites. These do not necessarily have to do with security/safety against malware whatsoever. Examples may include what others think of the customer service of an online store, what they think of the writer(s) of a blog, or what they think of the community of a particular site/forum, etc etc.

There's no arguing that since the human factor is involved, comments/opinions/judgement may vary and even be downright biased at times. Nevertheless, getting that is still worth something to me. Yeah, you read that right. I just want that human input. In that regards, WOT works.

9. guest

guest Guest

Yes, WOT just tries to be a moral police. But even at that they still fail because they flagged warez sites as green. Or consider Google to be trustworthy while everyone seems to be uncomfortable by the fact that they're mining the internet.

You run a business, and you created a website for it. You don't do anything wrong and your business is completely legal. And some day, your website is flagged as red in all categories. Comments on WOT said your website is phishing, containing adult contents, hosting illegal materials while it clearly is not. Think about how much financial loss you can get by such durr durr comments.

Problem is, it's not only about you. The website owners could take damage by all of those misleading comments and rates.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@cdnsempre
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've used Trafficlight from its beta. I'll try it again.:)

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

This is an example of what you say:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/linplug.de

It's a business owned by a developer that I know well. Norton had a false positive with one of his installers FOUR YEARS AGO. It has been flagged red by WOT and some other 'me too' rating sites and WOT contributors since then. Now it's yellow because real customers have written reviews too.

Particularly hilarious is the 'child safety' rating: Very poor! Why?

12. cdnsempre

I also fan of WSA

II´m waiting for 2014 version
    Nice weekend
    Here in Madeira are very sun.​

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

OFF-Topic

@cdnsempre
    Good to know my friend. It's cloudy here in the parallel universe.;)

14. cdnsempre

I did not know that the Traffic Light is beta, so this product is not yet consolidated.
    Last week I installed AdGuard and disabled it security extensions(Adblock, Disconnect, Ghostery) browsers like Firefox and Chrome.
    I'll Analizer and evaluate AdGuard these next days. I have a license for you if you want.
    Have a good day on parallel universe, somewhere in the USA....?
    Kiss

15. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How nice of you. Thank you. But I think I'm good with ABP + NS in FF. Keeps most of the nonsense out.:thumb:

Oh I'm at the other end of the world. You have a nice day too.:)

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is exactly what I have Norton nds + adblock plus and nod32 antivirus with hitmanpro:thumb: :thumb:

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

tried webutation for a while and it doesnt seem as effective as WOT.
    I can vouch for WOT 100% as it has alerted me to every malicious link i have thrown at it.

I have used WOT for years and its a great add-on.:thumb:

19. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I ran the TrafficLight extension in Firefox two years ago and have been running it in Pale Moon 64 for well over a year.

Works great with many interceptions and consistent queries to their cloud at nimbus.bitdefender.net

People are still posting up some positive reviews recently at Mozilla's Add-ons site.

Edit: versions - BDTL 0.2.10 PMx64 24.0.2

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  20. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

WOT works fairly well for a reputation based system, but I could say the same thing about friends recommending movies. Sure their advise works out 80% of the time, but I've also wasted money on some pretty lousy movies as a result. So I'm not going to knock the add-on for not being right 100% of the time. I'd only caution users to consider other addons in addition to WOT. After all, the entire purpose of these addons is for us as users to make informed decisions about he trustworthiness of a website. I tend to take trust based systems with a grain of salt, but I'm a introvert. If you have setup that works for you, why second guess it because of some post by someone you don't know. I'd have to experience a sever failure by the addon before I would say forget this.

21. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

The current version does not work you need to update.;)

22. cdnsempre

Hello, Thank you for sharing your tip for use in FF 24. I promise I'll follow but I'm still testing the AdGuard (not bad and well configured protect well). I'm looking forward to the release of Norton AV.
    Madeira island is 27 and very sunny. And how is your paradise place? Kiss

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@cdnsempre
    I see. Good luck testing AdGuard. I think I'm gonna try WOT again. I've not used it for sometime now. I used to like it. But removed it for some reason.

Good weather here. Cool breeze and 28 C. :)

24. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

OK! I'll do that right now! :rolleyes:

Actually, the only thing I need to do is keep using TrafficLight in Pale Moon.

25. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

In my experience WOT does a pretty decent job. Only most users are to complacent to do the work required, like writing reviews, and performing audits and posting the result they encounter...

WOT is mostly user driven, so until users engage into it it will only be as effective as what is reported.

The cloud is DEAD ! Long live the desktop !

Educate yourselves - Support the work of https://www.eff.org/
    Help protect the Internet from the unscrupulous, hostile businesses lobby, and the control fanatics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.