WOT or Site Advisor?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Daveski17, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK. I have WOT in Firefox, which was a bit of an experiment as I have SA in that as well. I'm quite pleased that WOT works in SRWare Iron.

2. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Love WOT ;)

I've got my WOT synced with...
    3 x Firefox
    3 x IE8
    Made Up Of...
    1 x Laptop - One User
    1 x Desktop - Two Users

You probably already know :doubt:
    But...
    1) If You Register With WOT .. You get lots more settings and control over how you use it.
    Including! .. Being able to sync all your different ( computers / browsers ) WOT's :cool:
    2) There is a little trick that WOT can only do in Firefox.
    Unsure of clicking on a link left on a forum :doubt:
    With WOT In Firefox...
    1) Right Click The Link
    2) From The Pop Up Menu... Click - View WOT Scorecard
    3) WOT Will Open - Telling you exactly where that link is going to take you if you click it.

WOT has saved me a few times :thumb:
    One time was a normal shop website that had been hijacked and would have redirected me to a Fake Pharmacy.
    Even though the link for the website was still showing Green...
    WOT Blocked me coz... I guess the site I would have been redirected to was RED :argh:

Zeena

3. Daveski17

Yes, I'm beginning to see the attraction of WOT.

4. Daveski17

It's interesting that Site Advisor gives spy-botsd.com a green rating yet WOT has a red rating. I know for a fact that this is rogueware. It may not be totally malicious but it is dishonest. I only wish I'd known about WOT earlier.

5. Daveski17

I've just figured out the WOT Bookmarklet in Opera!

DOH! It's been one of those days...o_O

6. Daveski17

It's been a fortnight exactly since I first installed WOT & I have been comparing it to Site Advisor. It's a bit unfair since I've had SA for about a year & WOT for only two weeks. Overall WOT seems to be more up to date & I find that I prefer it. In fact today WOT stopped me opening a site it had labelled as 'amber' from a link on Wilders! As I do a lot of my general surfing in SRWare Iron WOT will be very useful & makes me feel a lot safer. There is a Site Advisor Google extension that works in Chrome/Iron. I'm not sure that I'll bother with it in Iron though.

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

An issue that was the last straw for me with SA was that McAfee went to a full time, always running service to use it. Their explanation was that it hardened it, made it work better, etc, etc.

All I want is some kind of guide as to which sites may be risky and which aren't. WOT is light as a feather and it does the job. It's what I use and put on every PC I touch...

8. Daveski17

It's definitely lighter than SA!

9. Daveski17

I actually tried the Google extension. It doesn't have the same functionality as if you have SA with McAfee as your AV. I wasn't that impressed with the Google plug-in. At least one person told me that they preferred it to WOT. I reckon he is in the minority on that one! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.