Worried in advance about using TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by susie, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susie

susie Registered Member

Hi

I have a Dell laptop whose harddrive is failing such that Dell tech support told me to avoid turning it off at all costs.

I have a installed TI 8.0 PC0446CD Version CV1.0 and backed up the entire drive to a western digital external harddrive. (Happily the computer restarted after I'd installed).

I want to confirm before I turn off the computer and try to get the image on my new harddrive that this *should* work without fail. If there are known issues with this version of TI that for some reason would cause a high likelihood of failure I could download the latest version.

However I would rather not do this in case my laptop does not restart again.

I am using Xp SP2.

1) Please tell me what *you* would do!
    2) Are the WD drivers on the TI bootup disk?

Thanks very much.

2. divedog

divedog Registered Member

The experts should be along shortly to help. It sounds like you plan on replacing you're hard drive, if so I believe you should use the clone feature instead of backup. TI has saved my butt more than once there is no way I would be without it. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  3. susie

susie Registered Member

I did the "full image backup" option, that replicates everything on the harddrive. Thanks for the confirmation.

It was definitely delightful how quickly the image was made and I have high hopes about it working when I copy the image, but we'll see what the gurus say. :) Thanks.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Do you have a new laptop hdrive now?
    If not where are you getting it.
    If you opt to get it from dell, you can request the restoredisks at the same time for free.
    Does your laptop allow for a 2nd hdrive?
    Ti8 is more stable than ti9 and as long as you can see the usb drive from the boot ti cd it should work.

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

WD drivers do not matter to the Bootable TI CD, but the chipset that runs the enclosure is what will be important. And as noonie said, as long as the boot cd shows the drive that is in the enclosure, you'll be able to restore the image.

If you already have the new drive, why not try it ... don't wait until the original bites the dust.

6. susie

susie Registered Member

Wow I do have the ability to add a 2nd hd. I will try that!!

That main thing is I've been wanting to avoid turning off the computer.

I did get the new HD from Dell but they didn't offer restore disks. Oh well. I will go for it. Thanks for all your help.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since you don't have proven confidence in TI at this time, to be extra safe I would backup any self-created data files , the letters, spreadsheets, photos and other datafiles that are not available anywhere else, to floppies, burnable CDs or whatever. You can always get XP and your apps back perhaps with a degreee of frustration but the other stuff is nowhere else.

TI should do the job for you but until you've done the backup/restore cycle on the machine it isn't a certainty.

8. susie

susie Registered Member

It worked perfectly!!!!!!

I made all the right choices with the wizard and within a couple hours I was up and running with my new harddrive!!
    (I had backed up an entire image + also backed My Documents separately on my external drive so I was extra safe.)

Thanks for all your advice.

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Thanks for reporting back. And glad it was a success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.