Wormguard, W2K pro, and old installers

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by kyte, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyte

kyte Registered Member

I have just today reinstalled w2kpro, and, of course wormguard.  after wormguard i decided to install opera, and, at the end of the install procedure, I got an error message that GLB21.tmp was stuffed in some way.  The install works, (ie the program is useable) but no uninstall logs are created so an uninstall becomes a nightmare of poking about in the registry.

(apologies for the long tale)

Anyway, I had had this problem before, with ZApro (*real* nightmare territory) and other progs..  

today's episode made me wonder if there was some conflict with wormguard, so I uninstalled the protection, reinstalled opera, and there ya go...no error messages.  I have been able to repeat the process and get the error again.

theres nothing unusual about my w2k install, its pretty much bog standard, and at this point in time, the only other thing i have newly installed is Nero, which was not installed during the last episodes of this prob...so thats not it.

hope that this is a bug in wormguard, and not my computer.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Kyle
    I remember that error when i installed ZAPro time ago; i installed it a second time over it and no problems then and all uninstall files created properly is my impression, as when i had to uninstall it some time after that did not get any problems.  
    WG was not on my system yet the first time it happened, the other time it was. I don't know why such things happen.
    From that combination i could imagine it could be best to disable WG during install of ZAPRro as both go very deep into the system.
    Did you test to disable WG during install of Opera if it went OK then?
    I didn't have this on a Win2000 system btw, so it happens more often, so don't worry immediately about your system.
    If after installing Opera you re-install WG does it go well then, no install conflicts or error messages?
    Did not have any conflicts with WG active with any installs, but i might have been lucky. (And i didn't try Opera yet.)
    Did you for instance also test if you got the same error message with or without ZAPro running/installed when installing Opera?

3. kyte

kyte Registered Member

let me say this....after the nightmare of the ZA install i will never use it again.  ever.  so no, i havent tested it either way, the end result (because at the time i didnt realise that wormguard was involved) was an fdisk and reinstall (and i went with win98....now i am dualbooting)

ZA is fine as long as not one single thing interferes with it.  and its fine as long as its own uninstall works.  but if either of those are interfered with...mama!

wg is the only implicated app where these errors are concerned, and only on w2k, not win98...and yes, in answer to your q, everything is fine with wg uninstalled/disabled (ie, with the hook uninstalled)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm so glad to read you seem not to have conflicts after the install of Opera and after can enable WG again.
    Hope you'll not get the same problem with other software installs, as it's so confusing/disappointing.

5. kyte

kyte Registered Member

its frustrating in the extreme.

it only happens on w2k, and it never happens with the m$ install routine, only the one which opera and many other software companies, including zonelabs, use.  I have not yet noticed any install problems with other installers/packagers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.