Wormguard & Regrun

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Caratacus, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Jooske, I installed WG, opened up RR CC and no problem. Then 1/2 to 1 hour later, opened up RRCC again & got violation message. This happened on last 2 installs. I am not aware of any other process running but I hvae uninstalled WG so can't check. Anyway off on holidaysnow for 10 days to Tasmania so I'll check out the forum again when I get back. Thanks for help.

Cheers
    Caratacus

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wish you a very nice holiday time in the snow --never knew there was snow over there!!-- enjoy and we'll see you back!

3. George J. Jetson

George J. Jetson Registered Member

I too am having Regrun/WormGuard issues. While I haven't been able to find a consistent sequence of events I have narrowed the scope somewhat. First, my previous version of regrun ran fine. When I upgraded to 3.61 the problems started. As for WormGuard, removing the wormguard core components will clear up the problem. I also cannot make it fail every time. Only about 95% of the time. So it is possible for it to run awhile before failing.

I've attached a screen shot of three items. When the error occurs you get the msgbox shown in the lower left corner. Click OK and you get another msgbox identical to the 1st one. Click OK on that and you get the msgbox shown in the lower right corner. I clicked "cancel" on that one so that the Visual C++ debugger would start. (shown at top)

One final note, no matter what module fails, watchdog, regrun2, etc. you get the same exact unhandled exception in Kernel32.dll - only the .exe name is different in the Cisual C++ window.

Hope this helps. Please contact me if you need any assistance with testing.

Attached Files:

• 0003.JPG
      0003.JPG
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
  4. George J. Jetson

George J. Jetson Registered Member

I just discovered the following:

When the error(s) occur, I find that an invisible window has been created by wormguard. It is the window that normally pops up from WormGuard. However, it is only the basic window with no other info. I.e. there is nothing in the comboboxes, and no filename is shown. If you keep causing errors wormguard keeps creating an invisible window for each "sequence of errors". And finally, these windows do not go away until you either logoff or reboot.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

It does seem like a RegRun issue, do you have any reply from them ? You did say the previous version was fine o_O

6. Caratacus

I contacted Dmitry Sokolov who has been very helpful. e suggested that I put regrun2.exe in WG's Allowed list. This has worked well: WG & RR both run smoothly with one exception: the only problem has been when Watchdog reports a change in the Startup files - this now causes an EAccess violation though the report still goes ahead OK but Watchdog then shuts down. I put watchdog.exe into WG's Allowed list but the error still happens. However, this is a minor problem in that WG & RR both coexist relatively happily now on my machine.

7. Caratacus

Several weeks ago Dmitry got me to install 3.9 Beta 1 over 3.9, and made some other suggestions as well. Since then problems have been minimal. There are some hiccups still there but they do not stop the program now, and are easily work-aroundable. I understand that Dmitry is working on further fixes to iron out the remaining small wrinkles.

Result: I can now run both Reg Run and Worm Guard, two programs that I regard as indispensable.

I want to acknowledge Dmitry's excellent help with this. I am not at all sure that the original problem was because of RegRun, but he has been most supportive in fixing it for me.

Well done, Dmitry Sokolov!

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hey this is wonderful, i'm so glad your problem is solved now! Thank you so much for telling and thanks to Dmitry for his development!
    Extra karma cookie for you for telling us!

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Glad indeed all has been solved ;)

Nice app, btw, RegRun. We have a nice review up for those interested; have a look over here

mmm..slightly off topic - I do hope the mods will allow this

regards.

paul

10. Trojan scientist

Trojan scientist Registered Member

i ve had wormguard and Regrun 3.90 on high , running smoothly together so far. :D

does anyone suggest whether to add wormguard and tds files to regruns file protection or not , this wouldnt be a problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.