WormGuard problem?

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Chuklberry, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuklberry

Chuklberry Registered Member

Hello to ALL! :)

I would like to find a reason why WormGuard make problems in XP-Pro when computer show desktop, after few seconds everything on desktop vanishes, and then after 10 seconds everything is back again. I mean, is this 'normal' because then user sometimes must wait almost 30 seconds to start with his work. I want to point out that I have all legal software (including Windows with latest patches) on my machine, so where can be a problem?
    This happens ONLY when WormGuard is protection is installed. When is removed - everything works fine!

If I am right in TDS-3 there is 'execution protection' too, and if that is turned on, same thing is happen! BTW. Why there is no warning that if user have WormGuard, do not need turn on 'execution protection' ? I asking that because when WormGuard is turned on, and user turn on 'execution protection' too then 'runonce' error pops-up! So why TDS don't showing warning that there is no need to turn on 'execution protection' if WormGuard is turned on? Or to be short, why in TDS is option to turn on 'execution protection' if already WormGuard is on?

I'm new TDS/WormGuard user...When I bought it there was a message that latest TDS version is 3.2.1, but when I made my download I've got 3.2.0...

I'm sorry on long post. So here I got 3 questions on which I would really like to receive some answers!

Best to ALL!

Chuklberry

Also using:
    NET Framework 1.1 (very bad regarding Windows user accounts - even if you have just one, but I must have it because of some applications... :'( )
    NOD32
    Sygate PFP

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    What you describe in relation to WormGuard is not known before, many people use TDS and WormGuard with exec protection enabled and WG protection enabled, no problem at all.
    Did you reboot the system after installing it?
    And your XP has all SPs there are and all patches?

TDS is 3.2.1. even though in the GUI it shows 3.2.0 but in add/remove you'll see 3.2.1; this is because with the last update the exe itself had not changed, only additional files.

The other software you use should not give trouble either.

3. Chuklberry

Jooske,

Like always, you are here :-*

THANKS!

Chuck

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you still have the problems:
    disable every scanner completely, also their resident protection.
    spybot , teatimers, antivirus, etc.
    in TDS first uninstall exec protection and WormGuard disable protection and close the programs.
    If i were you i would first uninstall WormGuard and reboot and look how it is then.

If all is ok, reinstall exec protection in TDS and test again.

If all goes well now, try what happens if you install WormGuard again and enable it's protection, reboot, and test again.
    If it still goes OK, try to start one by one your other scanners and if that still goes well their resident protection, one by one.
    It does take some time but it could help you to find out where is the problem.

It sounds like there is some resident protection too many which your system either mgiht not like or should be installed in other order.

It might help too if you do those (un)installs while not connected to internet and you can close down the firewall completely too.
    It could even be better to uninstall WormGuard, and your Sygate firewall, then first install WormGuard again and after Sygate again too. Not sure, but it could help. If you have problems with Port Explorer for instance that could be a way valid to try.

5. Chuklberry

Jooske & other dear members - please help!!!

I have started with de-installing of WG and this message have pop-up:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ AUTOEXEC.NT.The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

After boot, I tried to turn on exec. protection in TDS, but then pop-up's another error. 'Run Once Wrapper' problem:

AppName: runonce.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 734301d5

After that all items on desktop has vanished on approx. 3 seconds, and then turned back!

It seems that this starting to be TDS and WG common problem!

What this can mean? I do not have a virus!(NOD32 updated)

No problems with Port Explorer...
    Just with TDS when exe protection is on...the same is with WG(only when protection installed)

After two hours of investigation, I decided to re-install TDS & WG...Now I have installed TDS again, but 'Run Once Wrapper' error comes AGAIN after I tried to turn on exec.protection! (all other programs have been closed, didn't been connected on internet too)

Can anyone try to get where could be a problem?

Usually I really do not have such problems with Windows XP system...
    Is it possible that TDS have a problem with Microsoft NetFramework1.1 - dot technology??

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I only know since i ever first installed this computer after bootup the icons are displayed and refreshed one by one with the right images dusring the bootup process, which takes a few instances longer since the system became more filled.
    This has in my case nothing to do with WormGuard or other programs especially, this is just windows starting up behavior.

I don't know about your errors and never have seen them anywhere in any support posting, so your next step could be disable Microsoft NetFramework1.1 - dot technology if possible and see what happens.
    Could be a simple configuration matter somewhere.

7. Chuklberry

Dear Jooske,

This is not in any way connected with Windows, because once again, only when exec. protection is on - such things happens!

I can NOT turn off Netframework because it's integrated with WXP system, and even if I could, I can not spend hours of tweaking accounts...

Thanx on suggestion, but I have already spend to much time staring in monitor searching for possible system error.

This is really TDS and WG problem.

Can someone PLEASE check compability of those two with Netframework??

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In the meantime that was done and no problems nowhere.
    I only asked because you mentioned it yourself :)

Can only think of required system files, did you look at those from the TDS site if there could be one important file corrupt or missing?

The occasionally icons refreshing takes place on most systems which part is not connected to TDS or WG.
    Also exec protection (TDS) and protection enabled (WG) should not make any difference.
    If there are no files missing, could be wise to grab the AutoStartViewer from the DiamondCS products page (free) and create a log with all options on, including drivers etc.
    Either post it here or send it to support@diamondcs.com.au mentioning this thread. There must be something giving you this unexpected problem. Which most probably can be solved.

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Only just a few thoughts in addition to what Jooske already posted.

How exactly did you change that folder-name?

If you want TDS-3 installed in a different folder, then you first have to uninstall it (and before you do that, you first have to disable Execution Protection in TDS-3 and then reboot).

BTW: TDS-3 needs to be installed on your C drive.

TDS-3 needs to be run as admin !!!
    See sticky posting from Gavin :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29034

Another remark:
    Execution Protection from TDS-3 is not the same as WormGuard does.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
  10. Chuklberry

Yes, I did that!
    As I have only one acc with admin authority, is this still not enough to run?
    Yes, I understand that.
    Thanks FanJ ! :)

11. Chuklberry

Dear Jooske and FanJ,

I have send Autostart Viewer log for review to DCS support...So let's see what they will say...

Thanks on help provided!

STILL, I think that DCS support should remove old advices from e-mail received with the key...

I have seen other posts too regarding this matter and I assume that someone just need to erase that part of the text...I don't think that this takes much time, and such matter does not serve well to DCS as a company which 'makes updates every day'...

Also there might be some wrong link between CLICKBANK and DCS regarding Action Pack BUY button, because I have experienced same problems as some other new users...Instead Action Pack at first I have received 'In a row' order receipt... :(

Maybe this is small/non important thing for DCS team, but a HUGE problem to new users! :eek:

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Chuklberry,

I'm really sorry for your problems !
    I wished I could but I'm afraid I don't know the answer.... :oops:

Only a wild guess: is there maybe something left in the registry after you uninstalled TDS-3?
    What would happen if you uninstall again TDS-3, (maybe clean registry), and install it in the original/default place....
    I fully admit : it is only a wild guess...

I myself (running W 98 SE) have both TDS-3 and Wormguard from the first moment on when I installed them, installed in a not-default location. No problem here.

I really hope that the DCS-guys will be able to help you !!!

Best regards, Jan.

13. Chuklberry

No problem FanJ!
    I have install in default directory now...unfortunately no changes again...
    Which TDS files should I clean it from registry? I didn't realized that some files have been left there!?
    Thanx in advance on your feedback!! :cool:

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Chuklberry,

So sorry that the default location didn't help either :oops:

I didn't say that TDS-3 did leave some registry-entries after uninstalling TDS-3.
    It was only a wild guess that maybe (maybe !) something like that could have happened, no more...
    I don't even know whether this is causing your problem :oops:

I think that it isn't a good idea to post further in a public forum about the TDS reg-entries (sorry: I was the one who start thinking about it for a moment :oops: ).
    There is also a private forum, but even then I'm not sure what Wayne would like.

I really would prefer that DCS would try to solve your problem.

I'm so sorry !
    Best regards, Jan.

15. Chuklberry

FanJ,
    I understand...
    Best,
    C

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you check for the minimum required system files?
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

It's really the last suggestion i can give.

Nobody in all those years has experienced the things you mention, google for it and you will not find them.
    I'm surprised you get them only with TDS and WormGuard installed, or is it when those are not installed anymore too now?
    I am not familiar with your system either.

Further i don't quite understand what is possible error or what is normal XP behaviour like desktop/icons refreshing etc. I hear this from XP users is normal behaviour caused by windows itself and not by TDS or WG or whatever other DiamondCS product.
    On my system it happens with the reboot, and on given times after some inactivity maybe, etc.
    Nor do i know if there might be a configuration setting somewhere. It is not in wormGuard nor in TDS, this i can assure you.
    Maybe you had some registry protection or other protection up when installing or uninstalling the programs. Things like teatimer, scanners, anything which blocked a proper installation.

For a quick way to look at a time at the system files and versions many people use Faber Toys, www.faberbox.com (free) --dependencies, choose TDS, look at the files and drag your window beside the required system files page.
    If you have them OK for TDS, they are for WormGuard too.

So the last hope is your system settings, required system files, proper installation without any resident protection, the AutoStartViewer log at DiamondCS.
    Did you run a SFC (is that available in your windows version too?) for original system files and possible corruptions?
    Have you been infected with something?
    I might suppose you have the downloads from the DiamondCS site itself and those downloads are all OK not corrupt etc?
    Did you use proper keyfiles? If not sure send them to support@diamondcs.com.au to be tested.

You must have the problem with other programs too.
    Let WormGuard and TDS a moment where they are. If all required system files are OK, then here is some additional homework for you, very informative, i must say, sounds very helpful.
    http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/fo...r=55432&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=6&o=93&part=
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1001651073
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6000/rh6042.htm
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6000/rh6041.htm

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  17. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Have a look at the following and see if it helps:
    Error Message When You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Based Program
    Edit ...I see Jooske already had this one for your

Is it just when booting up or restarting you see this error? Did autostartviewer show an entry for runonce.exe?

Regards,

CrazyM

18. Chuklberry

Thanks,CrazyM, but those files are OK.
    No, runonce.exe have appear just once - when I have made WG de-install.
    If I remember correct - no. Autostartviewer log is posted to support...when I receive their views maybe we find some solution ;)

19. Chuklberry

I have been there, if I'm correct - everything is ok.
    There is always the first time :D
    TDS - ONLY when execution protection is installed, without working fine.
    WG - also when I install protection, before that WG opens without problems!
    Jooske, I know which is normal desktop/refreshing icons behaviour.
    But this is happening only when TDS exec.protect. is turned on, when is off XP reboot or start up on usual Gates way :D
    Non other such program have been turned on.
    Definetly!
    I'm not sure on what you mean?! SFC?
    NOD32(with updates),PestP(with updates),TDS(with updates),(but without exec.protect.) showing non! All legal installations.
    Yes, It seems that they are OK.How can I be sure on that? TDS shows my name as a user....
    Jooske, once again thank you on support regarding this matter, but I have checked those url's and didn't find nothing unusual in my sys files...
    All other programs working without any problem(s) at all...I also must say that I even don't remember when XP has crashed...it works very smooth almost 18 months...I have all patches,SP's etc.
    I really hope that Gavin and Wayne will find something in that log!

Regards to ALL,
    C from Croatia
    :'( :'( :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.