WormGuard and RegistryProt

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by FarCry, Mar 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

In the upcoming WormGuard v4 is it possible to add a feature like RegistryProt?
    I consider being notified of changes to StartUp areas an important security feature.
    It would be excellent if it was built in to Wormguard.

Thanks, Wade

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

This tool is in the meantime available from the DCS site in the free tools area. Could that help you for the moment to bridge the yes or no possible integration into WGv4?
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au

3. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

I've been using RegistryProt for awhile.
    I think it would be a good idea to add it to WormGuard.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The idea sounds good, that's up to Wayne to decide. It'll be noted on the wish list for sure, Wade.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hm,

I really like the programs from DCS (but cannot use WormGuard 3 due to some conflict with another program, so I too am waiting for WormGuard4 which will fix this), but if I may make a wish: don't put RegProt in WormGuard4, or at least if it is in it, make it possible to disable it. I'm really, really sorry to say this, but I have tried Regprot a few times and every time after some time I got troubles with it, so I'm not using it any longer.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

i've just purchased Wormguard, TDS-3 and also installed RegProt....but find when i have Wormguard running, sometimes i am unable to open even a small simple text file (yes they are safe text files).  i get the message "not enough memory to perform this task" (meaning opening the text file) :(

So i turn off Wormguard and then i can open them.  i think after having my pc on for a bit with Wormguard running, maybe my resources are running down??

i always have the virus shield up (McAfee) and the firewall up (Sygate) and my icq.....and of course my browser.  my pc is a PentIII, 128MB RAM, Win98SE and maybe 1/4 of a 20GIG HD full...mostly use it for picturing editing. :)

i would love to have Wormguard running constantly otherwise it defeats the purpose of the program.  Same for RegProt, but i have not turned that back on yet (not really all that confident yet when it comes to the registry...~lol~...seems the more i learn about the Registry the scarier it gets!!)

i have been unable to register at TDS-3 Forum (tried several times but same problem as some other's i've read about with the User Name and Registered Number thing, and i have emailed support for help), or i would have asked about the WormGuard there too.  Has anyone else had a similiar problem with memory?  And if they do include WormGuard with RegProtect...ummm...i would be worried it might suck back more memory then i have? ~ouch~

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As memory is not too expensive at the moment, more RAM could be a big help. I think closing any of the other functions could help in the same way?
    As WG is not supposed to use any resources at all and quiet in the background, only jumps in when necessary, but maybe the "test file to open" is just the last bit you got free.
    Windows takes about 64, TDS 5 in mem, about 26 total on my system (on NT systems it seems to take less), the agentsvr in that 1 in mem,  8 total, so if you not use any msagent functions you could stop that one temporary, IE takes around 15 in mem, 35, open 2 windows and you have them twice, maybe an email client, OE takes about 15 in mem, 36 total, your firewall i don't know, ZAPpro for instance takes arouind 5 in mem, 25 total, ICQ did not look at yet, and with several task information functions i don't see WG at all mentioned, so not taking any resources at all.  So if you then also start a drawing program, which are most of time heavy applications, and you have the VShield up which will not be free from resources and who knows what more you have running
    Look in the TDS | System Analysis | Process list or use  thing like TaskInfo or Faber Toys to have an indication of all that and sizes used.

RegProt is to protect your registry so if you're scared, that's the protecton for you!
    Some sytems run into problems, like Jan described, with one of the programs, so better not join them yet.

Hope to see you soon in the private forum too. Did you try to enter via the TDS console, password correct (case sensitive), cookies enabled, etc?

8. snapdragin

Hello Jooske! :)

And thank you for your reply.  I did try looking at the list of running programs by using the TDS System Analysis but wasn't sure where to look for the amount of memory each program was using?  So i tried viewing the memory list in TDS but when the screen opened....well...i am sure i had this complete "lost" look on my face....so i closed it. ~LOL~

i must be tired (it's just past 5am here) because when i did a search for Faber Toys...i entered FabToys instead  ~oops~....oh yup....took me a moment wondering why the heck was that coming..."Voyeurcamso_O"  Finally entered the right search and looked Faber Toys over (the screen shots they had there)...and it looks like it's a great tool, but i think i might wait there because i wasn't really sure how to use what i was looking at.

Extra memory is definitely on my shopping list for this pc, but i've just boughten an additional pc with Window XP, and i know i'm going to have to do some "shopping" to get that safe and secure before going on the net too much with it.

i don't usually work on graphics with everything running in the background since i don't surf then, and haven't had any problems even when i've had the graphics up to 20 MB before they're finished, and i didn't have any other programs open except the basic security one's when i tried opening the text files...i even tried to do a "scan with WG" on one text file that i created myself...and the message "not enough memory to perform this task" came up, but was able to open the text file once i did the uninstall of WG....then did the reinstall and tried it again...same thing happened.  (darn)  Either way, i'm definitely down for more memory shopping before too long :)

(also, i did follow the directions you posted to someone on the other board....deleted old cookies...made sure cookies were enabled...even put the forum url in my IE Trusted sites...but it still wouldn't let me register.  Oh well, i can wait for help from the support personnel; the forum will still be there and right now i know they are pretty busy.  I just sent the email tonight so i know it might take a few days maybe more before they get the chance to reply.)  

Thanks again for your help! :)

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again,
    the www.faberbox.com is the right site indeed i mean, in which you can look deeper into the dll's then with the TDS process list, but also you see windows which resemble other functions in TDS. It might even all be there, but somehow i can handle this Faber Toys a bit easier.
    It does show what is running, and you won't see WG in the list.
    If you want to see sizes as well, many people use TaskInfo, which recently had a new update
    www.iarsn.com. And you will know several tools for freeing memory, many for free, FreeMem, RamBooster and several more.
    On that faber page saw more interesting little helpers, like metapad, an editer which looks interesting. Did not download it yet.

You might like to put the pc's in a network and share some space that way where possible.

The right-click scan with WG "too much memory" we hope will be solved in the next version.

With the Forum i also put the URL in the trusted zone, as without that even via the console i had no access passed the inlog page. Might be the ultimate find to let you in at last in that combination via the console! Gavin is looking into a possible glitch in that part so for sure you'll be informed asap.

10. SPY

SPY Guest

I don't see adding RAM fixing your problem, what it's doing is running your system out of resources, not actual RAM, I use XP, and W2K, they don't run out of resource's, but w98 will.

At boot up check and see what your resources are, then run the program, each time a program is started, it will use your resources. Two ways to deal with it, one upgrade to XP, or W2k, or disable program from starting with windows, this will give you more resources to start with.

The more program you have starting with windows the less resources you have to start with, so it wont take many programs running to run you out of resources.

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi snapdragin,

Wormguard reporting "Not enough memory" is a result of the execution protection component having some incompatibilities. Are you sure you have the file named correctly and .TXT associated with Notepad ?

If the file is named an unknown type, then right clicking will show "Scan with Wormguard" as default (bold) which is what is happening. If you try to use this feature sometimes there is a problem with the hooking function which is a Microsoft implementation we had no control over at the time. Write to support@diamondcs.com.au I'll get back to you with more information if you want but this should help.

Wormguard 4 / TDS 4 execution hooks are complete and working perfectly on all OS's. At a tiny size and working at kernel level these will bring great speed and compatibility to the next versions :)

12. snapdragin

Hello Jooskie, Spy and Gavin...thank you for you reply and comments...i appreciate your help very much! :)

Jooskie, i don't really plan to network my pc's, had that once before and found i really didn't have the need for it and the risks and worry far out-weighed the odd time i'd use the network (didn't have near the security then that i do now though.....must have just been lucky or very careful because i never once got any bad beasties in the 4 yrs i've been on the net--and i've got teenagers!) ~LOL~

Spy, i check my resources quite often and noticed with Win98 systems the resources and bounce all over the place, and i am not always that sure of the hidden culprits that run the resources down....i am aware of what the main one's are though, but usually i run about 77% free even when i have my editing software open with graphics using huge amounts of memory...i have to constantly clear the clipboard and history in those programs to keep them from crashing but rarely do they ever crash my system.  But i did try another test to monitor the resources since the message i was getting when i used the right-click "Scan with WormGuard" option was saying not enough memory.

i opened notepad and wrote 5 words then saved it as a .txt file then closed it.  Rebooted my pc and checked the System Resources----80% free.

Did a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to end un-necessary tasks.
    (this is what was running along with my software firewall up and my V-Shield up)
    Explorer
    Lexpps
    Loadm
    Mcupdate
    Mcvsrte
    Stimon
    Mcagent
    Lvcoms
    Systray
    Qttask

closed my V-Shield and my software Firewall (i do have a hardware-router firewall)

Once Explorer and Systray were the only one's listed in the Running Processes, i checked the System Resources again--now showing 88% Free.

Then i checked WG to make sure it's components were installed by clicking the "install" button, then checked the System Resources again---it went down to 86% free.

Thought well this still looks pretty good and hoped it was just one of those flookie window's things happening...so i proceeded to opened Explorer (System Resources dropped to 83% with Explorer opened) and double-clicked the .txt file i had created to test this with.  It opened as usual with just the double-clicking.  i even tried a .doc file and it opened ok too.  So far so good! :)

i closed the file and Explorer and checked Resources---84% free.

Re-opened Explorer and found my text file and right-clicked it...choose the option to "Scan with WG" (it was not in bold though).  It wouldn't open the file, instead it gave the same message:  "There is not enough memory to run this program.  Quit one or more programs and then try again."  

i tried a .doc file, but got the same message.  i re-tried the  .txt file and while the "not enough memory" message was still up, i checked the System Resources---80% free.

Clicked the OK button on the message to close it and tried just the double-clicking on the .txt file to open it without using the "Scan with WG" option. But the same message came back up.  Tried the .doc file again with just using a double-click and got the same "not enough memory..." message for that too.  (it behaved as if i was still using the Scan with WG option).

i closed Explorer again and re-opened it, found my .txt file and double-clicked it...this time it opened instantly; same with the .doc file.  

Not sure why just using the double-click on the files the first time wouldn't open the files, unless WG thought i was still using the "Scan with WG" option...?  but closing and re-opening Explorer allowed the files to be opened with just a double-click.

Gavin, just to let you know, right-click or no right-click options...i LOVE these programs!! :)
    i won't use the "Scan with WG" option for now, but if i understand this right, i don't really need to use that option do i?  Wouldn't WG just pop up if i was working away and for some reason opened a .txt or .doc file that had been infected, to warn me?  (i do plan on purchasing WG & TDS-3 for my WinXP but i think i will wait until both WG4 and TDS-4 are ready:)

(long message...~sorry~)

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nice explanation.
    In your example it's not WG but it seems Explorer does not see soon enough you are on to a next thing, does not close a process in time, thing like that.

You say WG was running already and you install it to make really sure it will cost resources of that action itself, but if you use the System Monitor or other, don't you see it drop back to about 86% once Windows has understood the action has finished after a few minutes?
    On my system too, i can close an action and it takes more then a few seconds to gain back the new won space. The sticky glue feeling.

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi again snapdragin,

Exactly, Wormguard will always be scanning all files as they are executed, you wont notice this as it is very fast.

You COULD possibly file scan (but be warned this may have a problem) by running WGSCAN.EXE in the Wormguard folder and passing it the path and file you want to scan - e.g:

C:\Downloads\Hi.exe

In most cases this will be ok, I have seen a potential problem under Win2k however so only use this if you are prepared to terminate the WGSCAN instance(s) or reboot. Wormguard 4 is coming along nicely anyway :)

15. snapdragin

Hi Gavin! :)

my timing must be good or i'm just one of those that can't go to bed early ~l~ but i just caught your post while reading through the forum, and thought i'd post a "Thank You" to support at DiamondCS for e-mailing me back so quickly....i am now able to get into the Members' Forum at DiamondCS with no problem. :)

Can hardly wait for TDS-4 and WG-4 to come out....they are both on my 1st to-do list for this pc (the WinXP).  Just finished d/l'ing the Sygate FW and NOD32 AV and i love them!  No conflicts at all....so everything is running smooth...........~crossing fingers and toes~ :)

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wow! practising in your bed i suppose?
    Great!, hope to discover and welcome you there too soon!
    These are used a lot in this combination with TDS and WG and many are as content as you sound. Does it make your hairs go curly happy as well now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.