Wormguard 4 Suggestions

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

As .com-files are used rarly on nt-systems it would be nice to have a possibility to block .com files in general and only allow a few needed for normal work (e.g. ntdetect.com).
    I doubt 98% of nt-users will ever need those kind of files but maleware sometimes uses com-extension to looks like an internet link.

2. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Yep, for sure it'll be out by June 2005!! :D :D :D

DCS must be setting new records for the Guiness Book of Records under the heading 'The Most Waited for Software Upgrades in the World'. How many years and counting. o_O o_O

I might get TDS 3 to play " Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys!!

You would think we're living in a monestary being told all the time: 'Patience! Patience!

JOB

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

LMAO
    :D

Ok, all I want for christmas is my 2 dcs upgrades (tds and wormguard) :D

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Try Wayne's jukebox script from the user submitted SS3 scripts, so you'll be able to have TDS play whatever music you like.
    Oops, this is the WormGuard forum. Hm most people have them both installed anyway. *puppy*

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

hmmmmmm, upgrades....hhmmmmmm

:)

6. Open Source

Open Source Registered Member

Simplicity overall is better for such a product i prefer clean simple and easy to use.

An adaptable database and a stronger method of catching newly advance worms is all i seek.

You can keep the extra fluff out thank you in advance.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Many worms these days are trojans which have spreading capabilities. Script detection is going to feature again as well as worm specific detection using parts of the TDS engine, but really worms are more and more trojans, more specifically worms are usually IRC bots. The type of malware spreading has changed a lot in 3 years.

Wormguard 4 will be somewhat an addon for users of our other programs, since worm detection and prevention is another layer in a way. Prevention is the key, which is always the focus with Wormguard. Keep in mind though that if you run ProcessGuard3 chances are you wont need much else to feel safe! so we can take the time to really make Wormguard 4 as perfect as we can.

It could turn out to be a better big business product for those who allow attachments through and their users DO run a lot of unknown files/scripts (and home users too). In those cases, security is very much dependent on the user !

8. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Kegel, we certainly will need WormGuard beside all the others.
    No, it's still WG-3, 4 has not been released yet.

10. muf

muf Registered Member

What about us Win 9x users that can't use PG3? You insinuate that you feel that people can use PG3 while they wait for WG4. Us Win 9x users CAN'T WAIT. We don't have that option. Why don't you stop messing about and finish these products instead of talking about them! Crikey, you are as bad as Lavasoft were when they abandoned their users while developing Ad-aware 6. Pathetic, simply pathetic...

I might just uninstall the bugger and throw it in the dustbin. You have been promising WG4 for far too long now. I really don't like it when companies promise things and fail to deliver. Process Guard was at version 1 when Wormguard was at version 3. currently Process Guard is up to version 3 and wormguard has stagnated at version 3. You have neglected your Wormguard customers, and that to me is unforgiveable.

muf

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Muf, what's your problem with WG3? It works fine on both my win98 and XP systems, no buggering just doing it's job on both systems.
    I just installed them with the download from the DiamondCS website, made sure all other applications and most certainly scanners, all resident protection, registry protection, were all temporary disabled, installed WormGuard normal as indicated by it's installer, rebooted after installation and just use it on both my systems without any problem.
    Over the time i made sure i kept away from all kind of blockers like htastop, dsostop, and all that kind of special tools which made my win98 rather unfunctional. WormGuard is ok enough for me.
    So what's different in your case?
    You might like to start a new discussion thread for your problem description.

12. muf

muf Registered Member

Jooske,

WG3 works on my system. I never said it didn't. Did you actually read one word of what i said? And yes i am starting a new thread to discuss this 'delay' in WG4.

muf

13. heatsaver

heatsaver Registered Member

Windows XP Professional 64 bit compatiability would be super!

14. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Not sure if this is on the list yet (it's getting quite long...), but I would like to have the option to import a text formatted file of blocked filenames & extensions (or a list cut / pasted from this site). Adding one at a time can take quite a while.

15. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Daisey, I think that your comment that the list is getting quite long is true. From experience, just keeping things sorted out on a "To do list" takes a lot of time which draws on resources that would otherwise be programming.
    However many of the suggestions are very worthwhile (on the 'whole list'), I'd think that only a few can be incorporated at one time because the 'new' package needs beta testing, which also takes more time and extends the release schedule.
    So, thanks for your comment, it prompted me to post in defense of DCS. Unfortuneatly, we just fon't know the focus at the moment, PG / WG / PE or something else.

And, after all that, I agree with your suggestion, a quicker way to manage the lists would be welcome.

Jim

16. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

No need to defend them here, JW. It wasn't meant as a criticism - just an observation. Sorry if it sounded that way.

By the way, from what I've read around the Wilders site lately, defending DCS these days could unfortunately work out to be a full-time job. An updated release of ANYTHING would surely help.

17. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I just had an evil thought, maybe they should just renumber the existing 'something', say PG and release it as an update, just 'forgetting' to announce what the new features are. Yes, definitely evil, I'm going to the kitchen and wash my brain and get rid of that thought.

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.