Wormguard 4 Suggestions

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Joosky

Joosky Guest

Hi, Jooske here from another location

And all that voice commanded available Blazie?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

If possible could you see to it that Wormguard 4 recognizes Windows System Restore as something it should allow by default (unless user wants otherwise)

Regards,

Pieter

3. ironwalker

ironwalker Registered Member

well everytime my vbs files run with task schedular for Coolmon my desktop stats weather etc proggy,wormguard pops up(every 2hrs and 7 vbs files) Is it possible to make an "add to allow list" option also with "override allow list" to check on those allowed scripts incase a baddie was written in after?

I used script sentry but wormguard overrides it so ill just leave it in background unless a problem occurs as it makes great backup:)

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

5. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

is it possible for wg4 to run as a service?
    I would like this for TDS4 as well, knowing you're protected, when not logged in.
    Dolf

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

As far as execution protection goes, in Wormguard 4 and TDS-4 you will be protected as soon as windows is loaded, regardless if you've logged in or not. The Execution protection is loaded as a driver so its very lowlevel.

-Jason-

7. Tassie_Devils

Jason, Hello.

I know that WG does not have to be running, etc. so understand it's protection being loaded on start-up, but will you have to have TDS4 actually listed in the Start-Up List or will the Execution Protection [if installed] will auto-load anyway upon start-up.

I prefer to manually start TDS once boot-up is complete.

Cheers, TAS

8. Jason_DiamondCS

If the execution protection is enabled only the driver will be "active" at loadup. I can only talk for WG4 at the moment but the engine for that is external to the Wormguard 4 program so the execution protection only loads the engine (which is small) when it needs to test something. So the actual driver uses very few resources even when it is scanning something.

The actual Wormguard program can be loaded on startup or manually, it doesn't matter in regards to the execution protection. Its mainly just there for scanning, configuring options, help and database updating.
    -Jason-

9. Tassie_Devils

Thanks Jason :D
    Cheers, TAS

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:Dwill if your more only into programing and not at all on eye candy i say hire mike from gav for interface desghien

it be nice to have eye candy go with great software relly would aprechiate more eye candy

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blaze,

:rolleyes: to each his own - our taste differs for sure! :D

regards.

paul

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Blazey, don't underestimate Jason's eye candy and other abilities.
    You've seen in PE 's christmas version (no longer available) a little bit of it which i really loved, and which Wayne told us in another place in the DCS forums how we can add our own default color schemes.
    Your windows enables you to change several color settings from main GUIs and frames etc already, so be creative with that too!
    I did not include any of the screensaver images in any GUI, but knowing your creativity in fact i expect you will succeed in such an experiment soon! The TDS GUI asking for it, don't you think? :D

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Well I like the functional elegance of TDS as it is, so if TDS4 looks the same or similar that's OK with me.
    For me keeping the performance & feature set up to date with minimal resources is more important than eye candy. ;)

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

This is how all the DCS programs and tools are made, as Wayne ever explained somewhere in the forums.
    We can change central from the windows > desktop > properties change our screen lookout, the colors and sizes of everything displayed on it, so if you like a black browser with green texts or all black and white frames, it's up to you and it will not change resources or cause delays;
    TDS is easy to create your own custom bar; and let's wait what the guys make for us to enjoy.
    If TDS was white with blue texts it would not be as impressive as it is now, for sure! It is already not my TDS when the voice is different.
    Now WG is going to be updated on an almost daily basis too we'll see it more frequent. Let's wait and see how it will look like. Time will tell us SOON! (it's around the next corner, you know)

15. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Pilli,

Seems you are in for a big surprise! ;)

regards.

paul

16. Jason_DiamondCS

Interface design is becoming more and more important these days so we are always trying to have something which looks good and performs well. WormGuard 4 is designed so the average user can quickly learn the program just by using and looking at the interface.

I have used a bit of art in the interface, but I have also been conservative in the amount of resources WormGuard uses. I think everyone should be pleasantly suprised about WormGuard, in looks and resource usage.
    -Jason-

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Paul, I like pleasant surprises :D

Jason, Sounds good - Lean, clean, good looking & effective, what more could one want? ;)

18. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

If it brings home money and does the dishes, I'll get dumped. So stay away from those. :D

19. Jason_DiamondCS

Hmm.. they were on the TODO list but after careful consideration we've decided not to include them... for Pieter's sake ;)
    -Jason-

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I want them in , i want them in, and doing the vacuum and cooking, calling my local grocary to fill the fridge and do the cooking. Great! Which reminds me:
    we have lot of those already in TDS-3, will they keep included there in the 4-family or hmmm the sporting appareil makes me suspicious ....... although on the other hand.... it would mean we finally have time for using them adequately!
    Hope you change the ugly worm for something better tasting as an image on our next t-shirts from your shoppe!
    We want the whole series, of course!

21. Mr.Blaze

:D then my request is this

Jason have all the freedom over worm guard 4 interface i mean the ablity to push it just remember to keep it simple for us newbs lol :D

22. wizardavc

wizardavc Registered Member

Some of the below suggestions have already been suggested in this thread but they deserve to be double suggested :)

- WormGuard should be able to scan directorys and archives from the shell/explorer context menu
    - Support for compressed files (I have heard it will be in WG4)
    - Get rid of a file name block list, the extentions are good but not blocking by file name
    - Deep search files should be set by default and the option for that removed
    - Fix testprot.exe or just remove it
    - If a file has the same repeat extention then WG should not go off (e.j. filename.exe.exe)

23. Jason_DiamondCS

Hi Wizard, some good suggestions there. WormGuard 4 has support for all the major ARCHIVE formats, also packed EXE files. The filename block list is something I think which should be kept, the new WG4 interface allows the RULESET editor to be much more flexible and easier to use. I think it is good if you only wanted a few EXE files to be able to be run on a machine, it allows filenames, paths and extensions to be added at the moment.

There is no testprot.exe anymore, you'll be able to determine if WG4 is running by an optional systray icon, checking the service's list, or running the WG4 console and seeing if "wormguard active" animation is running ;) .

There has been a LOT of improvements in WG4 already, its a completely new application with lots of new and exciting features. The free download links on our site ARE just that, free. Which is why we use that term (as do a lot of successful shareware companies), our programs usually have some form of way of telling the user that this "free" version is limited in several ways and that by purchasing it, it will unlock the rest of the features, etc.

-Jason-

24. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Jason, These insights give us much food for thought :D Looking forward to a bit of beta bashing. :cool:

25. Mr.Blaze

:DJason pleas tell me they gave you freedom for interface

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.