Wormguard "4" and File/Regmon

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Phil, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

OK, I'm squared away re; TDS3 and the Sysinternals apps. Now, how about WG4 -- I'm not interested in what WG3 does.

Will WG4 follow the same procedure as TDS3 and kill the referenced apps on start-up? If so, will this behaviour change upon registration?

Thanks again.
    Phil

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Port Explorer doesn't close down any other app as it has other methods to block people reading what it writes and reads from the registry :D . I will do something similar in regards to WormGuard 4.

If your worried about TDS-3 closing down regmon, try running some of the many AsProtected/Armadillo software, you'll love what they shut down ;)

-Jason-

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I wasn't concerned about PE because of the way I use it. I wouldn't have any reason to have either Filemon or Regmon running when PE starts because I start it independent of anything else and while everything else is not doing anything. If there was a problem with PE starting or running, it would be "Jason's problem" to track down. :) It might help *you* to have a dump from File or Regmon on a problem system, but it wouldn't help me at all.

Wormguard is a little different story. For one, it is high on my wish list. It also would be running from boot and stopped/started for various reasons. If it decided to kill one of my monitoring apps while I was checking something else, that would not be a good thing.

I was never "worried" about TDS-3 killing Regmon because I don't, and now won't, use it. However, I *do* want to use Wormguard so the logical (to me) progression was to check the family link first because that was the one at which the noise was directed..

Thanks for the heads-up on that other bunch. I have never heard of them but will certainly keep an eye out. I have been using PCs since about 1986 or so. In that time I would guess I have installed in the neighborhood of 800 to 1,000 apps for me and others to try/test/use/play with and, to my knowledge, I have *never* had one legit app covertly kill another legit app I had chosen to have running. That, of course, could be because I was not running anything at the time they were looking to kill. If it ever does happen, I will burn the tail off my mouse getting to the uninstall button. :D :D

Phil

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well Wormguard 4 won't have anything like that in it, like PE, so it won't be a problem. I can see both sides to the story regarding apps closing down "hacking" or "spy" tools to protect themselves. :)
    -Jason-

5. Phil

Phil Registered Member

That's great to hear about Wormguard! Now -- get it out the door. :D

I can see both sides of the story, as well. I can certainly understand any software developer wanting to protect their investment. On the other hand with me being "me", I can see my side too. I don't hack, crack or otherwise subvert the software on my system. I pay for what I use, even "donation" type products -- my CC statement will attest to that fact. :rolleyes: Some of the software I use *could* be used for -- ahem -- "other" things, but the developer has no way of knowing *I* don't do that. Being a little more up-front would seem a better choice by the developer. If nothing else, a splash during install stating "monitoring apps will be disabled for system protection while XX is started", or something to that effect. Just an opinion from a simple end-user.

Phil

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Phil,

I dont think you will have problems like that with a registered version of Wormguard 4 ;)

You will however, have to wait a while.. sorry we can't give you a release date of when it will be out the door :D

7. Phil

Phil Registered Member

That's good news! Otherwise, my search for a script protection app would have to continue.

No problem with the wait, I guess. I have been using XP for about 1 1/2 years so have been waiting at least that long. A little longer probably won't kill me. :D

Phil

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Phil,
    As a beta tester for DCS & being totally indepedant of DCS, I can vouch for their integity & how they like things to be as right as possible before going public.
    Sometimes their self protection methods appear a little controversial but they do listen & I do trust them.

9. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Thanks for the information Pilli, but when did trust and integrity enter the equation? If I didn't trust DiamondCS, I sure as heck would NOT be running one of their LSP-enabled apps (Port Explorer) on my system. My questions have *nothing* to do with trust. I simply will not allow an app on my system that covertly kills another app without my express consent and knowledge. DiamondCS does what they feel they have to do to protect their investment and I have *no* problem with their decision. I do what I have to do to maintain a modicum of control over my machine and that is my decision. If it means I won't use one of their apps because the two collide, so be it.

They even refer to the tools from Sysinternals as "hacker" and "spy" tools, yet they themselves use them because they are *great* tools. Are they hacker and spy tools? No. Can they be used that way? Sure. They are tools -- nothing more, nothing less. I use them quite often to monitor and troubleshoot my system so I can't allow an app that kills them. I would feel the same if every time I visited my local convenience store, someone slipped out and removed the screwdriver from my car because some people use that tool to break into coke machines.

So, again, thanks for your input but I think you misread my intent. Has NOTHING to do with trust or my perception of the integrity of DiamondCS. Those qualities are not in question. It does, however, have everything to do with who controls what on my machine.

Phil

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Phil,
    I probably did not read correctly & I do understand "It's my computer"
    There are lot of such tools as you say, that can be mis-used or abused.
    I do not know, as yet, what or how the security for TDS4 will be implemented hopefully it will be in such a way that you can live with it. :)
    PE as stated uses other methods & WG4 will do also.

11. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Yeah -- the thread kinda went off on a tangent from what I was trying to make a simple question -- will WG4 kill Regmon. Here's what it boils down to, if I am using Regmon to check something on my system and something else shoots it in the head, all the data is gone. Not acceptable.

The question has been addressed so all that's left to do is patiently wait on WG4. That sound you hear is foot tapping and finger drumming. :D :D

Phil

12. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

I encourage you to read the Privacy Policy in the help file for Port Explorer, it clearly states that our customers privacy comes first, period. :) WG4 and TDS4 will have very much the same privacy policies

Best regards,
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.