Worm or Antitrojan Defence?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Blackcat, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have AntiVirus, Firewall and Spyware programs installed and running on my computers and I am thinking of further defence layers.

I use the Internet for about 4 hours/day on average and receive about 100-200 e-mails/week on a dial-up connection(soon to be a continuous cable connection). Would I be better off choosing an AntiTrojan barrier(BoClean or Trojan Hunter)? or a Worm/Script Defender(WormGuard)?

I have KAV as my antivirus program which is supposedly very good at Antitrojan detection. Ideally I would choose both but at the present time I wish to select only one of these alternatives?

2. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Black Cat,
    KAV is no doubt one of the best or even the best AV out there ! And yes it has a very good Trojan detection rate for an AV.
    It most certainly would be to your benefit to have trojan detection software. It sure would compliment KAV ! :)

I like Trojan Hunter, but would also recommend TDS 3. They are outstanding AT programs....imho !

regards,
    bill :)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with eyespy.Trojan Hunter and TDS-3 are good programs.TDS-3 is more advanced and has more features.Trojan Hunter is easier for newbies to use.I personally prefer TDS-3,learning curve and all!

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Blackcat, hello.

Personally I definitely would get a *dedicated* AT/AW proggy, one single app, no matter how good, CANNOT cover all of the things out there.

I use TDS, as recommend by The Tester and Eyespy and Wormguard.

If I was in your situation, I definitely would get Wormguard as it's not just a Worm detector, much more.
    http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/

Download and try it. Big advantage is that it runs in the background, bugger all resources, and it works quicker than you can say "beer" checking all files activating immediately.

TDS, learning curve and all I absolutely love. It STOPS execution of Trojans [licensed version with Execution Protection enabled] but has to be running. [Minimises to SysTray]

Cheers, TAS

edit: here is an interesting link re TDS's detection abilities.

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/html/netbus.htm

5. Blackcat

Thanks for the replies guys; but my original question still stands. Should I go for extra antitrojan detection or for for the protection that WormGuard can offer? :doubt:At this time I do not want both.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blackcat,

A matter of personal opinion in the end. Personally, I'm all for "not putting all eggs in one basket" - especially since most malware is targetting the most well known security apps nowadays. Thus, when for example KAV/AVP should have been put out of business, you would have lost both virus and trojan defenses all at once. In this context, installing a separate dedicated layer of defense is a fairly often used way of protection -TDS for example.

regards.

paul

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Blackcat:
    As Paul says, it really is a matter of personal choice.

OK, you have KAV/AVP which I am led to believe is a pretty good one also at detecting Trojans, as well as its AV role. [We used to use it at work on the MACS as AVP, and it was very good].

However, your statement:
    >I use the Internet for about 4 hours/day on average and receive about 100-200 e-mails/week on a dial-up connection(soon to be a continuous cable connection). Would I be better off choosing an AntiTrojan barrier(BoClean or Trojan Hunter)? or a Worm/Script Defender(WormGuard)?

Under that premise, I would get Wormguard [just me personally] as most of nasties come via email.
    Also, having Wormguard myself and *knowing* what it can do, monitoring constantly, scripts, etc. it also protects when simply browsing the web pages themselves, to stop scripts, etc. containing malware from running.

Look, the best way I could tell you, just download Wormguard, give it a test spin for the 30 days, and I am sure you will be impressed.

Actually you can use it longer, but with it *activated*, each time you execute something a window will pop-up reminding you that you are using an unlicensed version. [it used to a long time back for me anyway].

sometimes, a nasty will come in the form of double extensions, or with an extension, a lot of spaces, then the real extension, which can be missed, unless you are astute at "Icon" recognition. In this case Wormguard will NOT let it run at all. A warning window will pop up, describing the problem.

Just my opinion.

Also, while we are at trial running, why don't you also get a trial version of TDS. You make up your own mind what you think would be the more handy for YOUR case. The only difference in trial version is you don't have 'Real Time' protection, as it's the only AT [AFAIK] that STOPS execution of trojans before they can do any harm. Others detect them after they are on your system.

I do know one thing though, if you get WG or TDS, whichever choice, you will be happy with its peformance regardless.

This is probably not the exact answer you wanted, but I cannot just say outright get "xxx" as I do not fully know your circumstances.

Cheers, TAS

8. Blackcat

Thanks everyone for your valuable advice as usual ;). I have just downloaded WormGuard to give it a trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.