Worm infection

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by thebluerabbit, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebluerabbit

thebluerabbit Registered Member

Hello,

I have a worm on my computer which is proving elusive. I have AGV6.0 for windows which produces a pop-up stating I have 'worm donk' in C:\system Volume Information\...restore[EODB5469-ECBS-HIOA-9A02'F484A3BEODBA]\RP14/AO27999.exe. It advises me to run AVG for Windows, which I do but it finds nothing. I did a housecall scan but without success. I have also tried to find the file in question, but failed.

As for its effects - it freezes any pages connected to the internet after between 2 and 20 minutes.

any sugestions?

Thanks,
    Benj

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Benj

Try this.

Turn off system restore, restart your computer and scan. Turn on system restore and create a restore point after the computer is clean.

The infected files are still restoring themselves. What to do?

You are most probably using one of the latter operating system - Windows ME or Windows XP on your machine. These systems are by default using the option for restoring the system files, which system automatically backups to the directory "_restore" on the system disk(normally to the directory "C:\_restore"). This way it is possible that the infected files join the backed-up files and become "undeletable".

Solution

The process depends on the operating system:

Windows ME

1. Right click on the "My Computer" icon on the Windows desktop and click "Properties"
    2. Click on "Performance">"File system"
    3. Click "Troubleshooting"
    4. Check "Disable system restore"
    5. Click on OK, Close and restart the system

Windows XP

1. Right click on the "My Computer" icon on the Windows desktop and click "Properties"
    2. Click on the "System Restore"
    3. Check "Turn off System Restore on all Drives"
    4. Click OK, Close and restart the system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.