worm in powerpoint

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by david banner, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

2. jle4044

jle4044 Registered Member

Same here. ZoneAlarm just caught it today, although mine was in pptview.msi (the windows installer). No other AV has ever alerted me to it before, not even ZA! I don't use Outlook (just hotmail and gmail) so I wasn't likely spreading anything.

BTW, I'm assuming that a worm like this would only be able to access address files in Outlook, not in hotmail or gmail, correct?

3. david banner

I don't know but that worm is around a long time isnt it, since 1999 I think so how come we got hit today?New variant?

4. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Hi,

"The" pptview.exe in the microsoft office folder?

If so, please grab a copy of that file (from backup/quarantine if you deleted it), add it to a zip or rar archive and send it to newvirus@kaspersky.com in an email with subject line "possible false positive" and briefly explain what it is being detected as etc.

Viruslab will check it and correct the detection if it is incorrect.

Which ver of Office you have installed, scanned my 07 install and no detection.

5. david banner

yes

Sorry deleted it and deleted it from backup

office 2007 PP 2007

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

no probs with pptview.exe here.
    Using office 2007, vista home prem. & kav 2009

7. david banner

too late for me to find out if it was a fp now. does that mean pp won't work without that file?Vista home prem kav 7 updated

8. jle4044

jle4044 Registered Member

Yes (and correction; mine wasn't the .msi file). It was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Power Point Viewer\PPTVIEW.EXE

Trying to find where ZA's quarantine folder is; once done, I can submit. (I'm not a regular Kaz user, btw. My main is ZA and I oftern use Kaz online scanner as a backup. Neither Kaz, BitDef, F-Secure, nor Trend Micro House call online scanners have ever found this. Not even ZA until today...and that Office file has been there over a year.

Mine is Office 2002.

9. david banner

same here

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Try running the MS Office Diagnostic tool, it will repair any of your office apps.

11. david banner

Ok thanks. EDIT: Where do I get that MS Office Diagnostic tool? I have discovered it is powerpoint 2003 that is missing PPTVIEW.EXE so I cannot open PP 2003. I downloaded it at http://www.wneies.org/codes.htm Does anyone know if that is safe site and if I can install it into the folder?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.