Worm Allegedly Bypasses System Rollback Software

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by wembleyy, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I got a so called sample of it but who will give it a shot?

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@aigle

I read a thread about this worm over at the RollbackRX forums. It seems that RollbackRX can stop this worm BUT.............if you attempt to run the worm on a system protected by RollbackRX you get a BSoD and the system crashes. On reboot nothing on your PC is harmed though.

PS it should be worth noting that the person who ran the above test on the Rollback forums was a regular user so I can't confirm if nothing really was altered on his system by the worm.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, same thread i read as well.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Tested in a vm. The malware has some stealth, startup items, calls some data from a remote web server and disabled autoruns from Sysinternals. Could not replicate what was reported the malware did to DeepFreeze, on reboot everything was gone.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're absolutely right! People can't depend just on rollback software. Accidents do happen. Rollback software is just one of the security measures people should implement, but that's it. Not relying solely on it.

Because, as you said, people need to bet on prevention, and rollback software isn't prevention, rather a go back in time, after damage has been done.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Whether it really affects DeepFreeze or any other virtualizer, usually any good AVs will eventually spot the nasty. Another case proving that no single application can be really trusted to protect your system on its own.

9. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

we cannot entirely depend on single security measure, we need to have multiple security app, and store the data externally

10. arran

arran Registered Member

No biggie, after all I have have kill disk trojans which bypass Returnil and FDISR RollbackRX.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

How are your kill disk trojans able to bypass returnil? Just curious about how they work?

12. ypestis

ypestis Guest

Yeah,I would like to know about them rascals myself.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There's been a lot of thrash in this thread, but has anyone seen any real evidence this thing does anything.

I tested it an I'd conclude Faronic's is right. I ran it without any rollback anything, and it did a few minor things, but no damage I saw. No Direct Disk access at all. On reboot it did another couple of minor things, But if I hadn't been watching I'd have never known.

Certainly did see anything that would affected the Returnil's Shadowdefenders, Deepfreezes, etc.

I think we are discussing ghosts.

Pete

14. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

No, only...
    My DeepFreeze was unaffected. All hidden items were gone after a reboot, although I'd like to do a further test outside a vm.

One of the tools it also disabled was the antirootkit IceSword.

before and after, the after shot has an earlier time as that was the current snap shot, stealth files were gone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  15. developers

developers Registered Member

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

18. arran

arran Registered Member

Yea I dunno why they are making false claims about Deep Freeze. Deep Freeze Is very STRONG I also doubt it would bypass Faronics AntiExecutable.

The kill Disk Trojan which bypasses returnil is from this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=243496&highlight=killdisk
    Returnil failed on 1. but I dunno if returnil has made a patch yet. its a nasty trojan only 7 out of 40 AV's detect it.

and with W32.SafeSys.Worm there seems to be now quite a few malware bypassing returnil.

Masterton was also saying in this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=242115&page=6
    I also witnessed Returnil being bypassed by a few KillDisk / Klone malware in other tests.

So yea looks like returnil needs to have some improvements

And It has been known for some time that kill disk trojans bypass FDISR
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=148280&highlight=killdisk

19. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Simply running as a limited user should prevent such attacks. They tend to rely on installing drivers to write directly into the disc, bypassing system rollback programs in the process - but limited user accounts do not have the SeLoadDriverPrivilege. So, yet another case of pointless, easy to prevent attacks scaring people.

As for AVs, they might detect it, or might not. Any reasonable malware user would of course make sure the AVs don't detect it before spreading his crapware. It's easy to obfuscate an old malware to the point where AVs no longer detect it. So don't rely on AVs to catch anything. They might get lucky and detect the beast, or they might not even beep if the malware author has done his job right.

I see no reason why it would bypass Faronics AntiExecutable. Typically the installers for these things are exes, and AntiExecutable certainly catches those.

20. developers

I have tested the malware with Deep Freze and Sandboxie also.
    Result:
    Deep Freez bypassed

Sandboxie not bypassed

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, can u test some others if possible, like

GesWall, CFP, TF etc

Thanks

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Thank you for testing. Great to see that Sandboxie is not bypassed.

I hope this is not asking too much, but would you be willing, if you can, to test Microsoft Windows SteadyState?

Thank you

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Any of the disk killers would bypass FDISR. It's not designed to stop them, as it neither looks at files for content or intent, no does anything to prevent writes. It simply copies, and has code installed in the partition table.

So testing against FDISR is pointless

24. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi arran,
    RVS passed all the tests on the retest following that report. See the updated information on their site and the followup...

Mike

25. developers

Policy sandbox and HIPS can easly defeat this malware, because they limit privileges, process communication, hooking, injection, accesses, etc.
    This typology of threats (dog trojan) has the main objective to bypass instant recovery system technology that are very popular in eastern countries.

SteadyState can be bypassed very easily with a simple hex editor with direct physical access, furthermore, it doesn't protect MBR.
    This test, performed by guest, highlights the lack of low level protection in Windows Steadystate (because it works only at file system level).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.