Works Great!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aspencolo, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aspencolo

aspencolo Registered Member

Raid 0 Drive Configuration - Works Great!

After reading the many posts on the challenges of restoring Raid 0 partitions I was hesitant to give it a try. I had purchased the retail version of TI 8.0 but didn't want to break the seal without some hope it would work as expected. I called the company yesterday and left a message with the receptionist to speak with a technition, but my call was never returned. So I decided to try the 15 day trial version first, discovering that it's fully functional. Basically, my configuration is an AMD-53 FX processor, wth 1 Gig of Ram, and 2 Raptor Drives, 74 Gig each configured in RAID 0. The model according to the system specs is Promise 2+0 Stripe/Raid 0 SCSI Disc devise. I also have a 160 Gig Maxtor Drive which I use for my data storage only. The trial version worked perfectly both from windows and using the emergency boot CD which I created immedately after the trial installation. There were no issues at all - and the logical drives created without a hitch to allow me to see individual files in the images. To be honest, I was quite surprised that everything went so smoothly after reading other posts on RAID configurations.
    At this point, I feel confident that the product will work as expected, and if I ever mess up my system (which we all do from time to time), I'll have a trusted method to get things back and running. I use the RAID 0 drives only for my OS and program installations, and data on the Maxtor Drive (D: Drive). I should be getting an external Seagate drive with firewire/USB 2 and will store images on this device. I'll post again soon to let you know if it's recognized during a boot recovery and if the images restored properly. By the way, I did not install the retail version after the trial, but registered the product and installed the lastest build for TI 8.0 from their website.

In all fairness to Acronis - one of their sales representatives did call me back today. The rep was both professional and knowledgeable, when answering my questions.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. aspencolo

aspencolo Registered Member

The other day I used the bootable TI Recovery CD and it recognized the Seagate external Drive and I quickly found my full backup and incremental images. The drive letters were off, therefore the Seagate drive displayed as my C: Drive, however when I selected the incremental image from the Seagate drive, the subsequent screens confirmed that the image I selected would indeed install to the correct partition, which in my case was C:, as recognized by the windows OS. Once again, everything worked as expected!

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi aspencolo,

Yes, this is a feature of TI after booting from the Linux based rescue CD as Linux uses different logic than Windows when assigning drive letters.

The recommendation is to ignore drive letters and rename your drive Volume names whilst in Windows to something meaningful e.g. Main_NTFS and Backup_NTFS. These are then easily recognised after booting from the rescue CD.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.