Works fine, slows down

Discussion in 'hardware' started by franklin101, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklin101

franklin101 Registered Member

I have a gateway LX6910-01 desktop with Vista 64bit, 8gb ram. I started having isues with it lagggging and slowing down. I do a reboot, and it works fine for about 6hrs, where it starts lagging again. I use MSE, TC, Keepass, Pidgin, Chrome.

I have done a fresh reformat, updated drivers, done windows update.

Right now, my problem is beyond me. The CPU fan works fine, doesn't seem to be overheating. Do you think this is a hardware issue(hdd)? or some vista SP1 or something similar.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

3. franklin101

Yes, just checked. Actually it is sp2.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, so that can be ruled out. Have you checked Event Viewer for any errors? Also, what is it that lags, certain programs or the entire system in general?

5. franklin101

How do I get to event viewer?

Its a system lag- when playing adiao, there is stuttering. When videos, everything stutters. When moving the mouse, there is lag. Being that I reformated, I think its unlikely to be a software issue, unless maybe an update messed everything up.

How likely that my HDD is failing? It might be cpu throttling, but I don't think that would explain why everything works with a reboot. I have cleaned the fans out, and the fan seems to work fine.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Bring up Task Manager and check if any process is constantly climbing in memory use?

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd start with this also.
    A physical problem like a failing hard drive usually give symptoms right away as soon as you boot up, it's usually fairly constant and consistent.

I'm tending to rule out malware since you formatted and reinstall and the problem remained...although with some of todays MBR trojans...that may have followed along for the ride.

But I'd start by looking at task manager right after a fresh reboot..and then comparing it once an hour during use...and eyeball to see which process(es) start ballooning.

8. franklin101

Very consistently after around 6 hrs, there is some laggy, after 8, basically extremely irritating/unusable.

I have version 6.0.472.63 of Chrome. Maybe there is a memory leak in this version? Cause I have had flash climb up over a gb in memory usage, but i use Chrome task manger and kill flash, and all works again.

Another forum wanted a Speccy link
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4FIFKpKG07gNzjgzyGXYKuK

incase that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.