Word to the wise: Avoid 64-bit Office 2010

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

InfoWorld

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not as much avoid as to weigh pros and cons. Article make sense

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So basically he says beware since all your plugins won't work, which is a bit obvious, briefly highlights that over 2GB spreadsheets wont be openable by 32bit since its unique to 64bit (ORLY?) then badgers on about other software completely veering off topic of Office.

I've been using office2010 beta -solely- because of it's 64bit since last year and never had any issues. Just the usual doomsday talk which will end up in a spread of misinformation with people thinking 64bit is crippled or lacking features, which is untrue.

Also your thread title doesn't help squat.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For home use, probably. Enterprises, however, are quite likely to be very interested in the issues mentioned in the article.

Try to see things from a wider perspective before switching to bashing mode just because something doesn't fit your worldview.

5. elapsed

The whole article is pointed towards the home user. Why would we be discussing enterprises in a forum like this? Most enterprises haven't even upgraded to Windows 7, nor a 64bit Operating System, never mind 64 bit software....

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Outlook 64-bit won't synchronize with WM smartphones. In fact it'll delete all of your contacts :rolleyes:

7. elapsed

Ouch! Yeah, I can see how enterprises would kind of want to avoid that :D

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm using the 64 bit Office 2010 beta at the moment without problems. I don't doubt that there are issues. As with 64 bit Windows you have to do your homework and make sure that everything you personally use is going to work. The InfoWorld post is hardly what I would call comprehensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.