wondering?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

evening everyone
    i was just thinking--i am just beginning to learn about security but the way things are is it ever perfectly safe to use your credit card online?for anything?

Rita

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I purchase online. I do use a credit card for those purchases but I make absolutley sure that the site that I am doing business with is actually the one I want. And check your card statment often to make sure there are no purchases you are not aware of. It is still relatively safe to shop the net.The biggest security app you have is on your shoulders so we have to remember to use it. ;)

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

morning Bigc
    thanks for the reply-i have shopped online alot of times but with all i'm learning i wondered if it was safe lol.I'm trying to use my head for something other than a hat rack also :D

thanks and have a great day
    Rita

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Think about this: When you use your credit card online, it is only traveling online for a split second. If you order something through snail mail, your credit card number takes several days to reach its destination and is touch by at least a dozen hands. Never STORE your credit card number on your pc or use the AutoComplete feature, always type it anew each time you use it or use a respected Password Manager. The WEAKEST LINK in all this is the company you are purchasing something from, again think about this: The company will still have your credit card number in their computers regardless of whether you ordered online, on the phone, or thru snail mail. If given the option to let a company store your credit card number so you have an "option" to order quickly next time, skip that option and do the slower ordering methond again next time, retyping everything all over again, yes, it's inconvienent but it's best not to let the company keep your credit card info, to repeat, that is always the weakest link; hackers are much more eager to hack their computers, not yours. Good luck.

Acadia

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

you are absolutely right now that ive thought about it.sometimes i just dont think :D and i always type everything in again each and every time i order something also watch my statements etc.
    Rita

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

A point well worth making - even if a company does secure credit card data properly (as a customer, you have no way of verifying this without trying to "crack" their system yourself) their server will still be a more attractive target since they will have dozens (if not hundreds or thousands) of other CC numbers also.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

All very good responses, which I agree with. Just to be safe, I usually use a disposable credit card number. Many credit card companies issue these now. They are issued for usually a single use, and are linked back to your account.

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear ritaann, when you're using your credit card online make sure the site is safe. the link should be HTTPS not just HTTP. also make sure the site is certified by some authority like VeriSign.

9. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

Also as always make sure your computer is virus/trojan/spyware/adware free before putting in your cc info. :cool:

10. meneer

meneer Registered Member

BTW: in case of misuse, you can claim the damages with the credit card firm, it's their loss if a seller is not bona fide or if hackers steals a cc-list. So check your balance sheets.

As was mentioned before:
    There not much different from a physical transaction. Just take care of the security of the site you're buying from. HTTPS being needed. Just be aware of phishing acts.

Check if the seller debits your account at shipping time and take note of the name of the collector. It often is not the name of the site you're buying from.

11. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

have a card for online use only and make sure it has a very low limit. u can arrange this thru ur bank.

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello Daisey
    i had never heard of a disposable credit card.are they something new?that would be a great idea to use one
    Rita

13. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks AMRX
    that is one thing i always do (making sure site is https instead of http)
    rita

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Peaches
    thanks for reply--never thought of using a card with a low limit--that makes good sense huh?
    have a good day
    Rita

15. Hans 01

Hans 01 Registered Member

Lots of sensible answers. Also don't forget your bank - they are not immune to errors. ALWAYS check your purchases against the bank statement (which means you must save all dockets). In the last 5 years I have detected 5 transactions debited to my credit card and which were not my purchases. I don't know if the bank was hacked or if they goofed during data entry or a if a card reader had electronic hiccups somewhere.
    The bank did however reverse these transactions immediately when I notified them, and I haven't seen those 5 ever again.
    / H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.