Wondering about Sandboxed browsing

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by MUmoto, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUmoto

MUmoto Registered Member

My browser's are sandboxed so... if let's say I don't download anything on my computer would I be safe?

Or are there other ways of getting viruses/worms/spyware or anything alike on your computer?

Theoretically speaking xD

If I am downloading files on my computer what kind of software would be advised?

Anti-Virus
    Behaviour Blocker
    HIPS

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

I suggest an AV as backup for ur sandbox to check files when u download them

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can download sandboxed files but they will run only in normal non-sandboxed mode. So you have to give appropriate permission for them to execute. That safeguard is what keeps malware from installing - if there's anything you are sure you did not download yourself, closing the browser is sufficient to wipe it from the download list.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You didn't state which sandbox app your using... There are different types of sandbox apps.

If it's like Sandboxie then scan everything you plan on removing from it with multiple updated quality scanners and/or upload it to VirusTotal or Jotti.

There are other ways to get infected such as open or vulnerable ports, vulnerable applications and infected external devices or disks. A good hardware firewall or software firewall should help as well as keeping your installed applications and OS updated. See my signature for a link to scan online for vulnerable apps. As far as infection from external means, there are also ways to protect from this if it's a threat in your situation.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Yep. Run a good scan on applications not downloaded through a browser before installing them. Some ports have to be kept open to keep an Internet connection alive. Just make sure nothing nefarious gets through them and you should be safe online.

6. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Not sure I completely understand this post, but within the context of Sandboxie, I download and run lots of files and they run just fine within the sandbox, even with default settings. Generally speaking, downloaded apps that don't run within Sandboxie are those that require driver installation.

@MUmoto, While nothing is 100%, my own experience matches what many others have stated in their threads...that being Sandboxie is a highly regarded program for effectively containing malware. So to answer your question, yes...your browsing session is safe using Sandboxie...and IMO you're also safe downloading apps into Sandboxie with the caveat that you don't "recover" anything out of your sandbox and onto your real system unless you've taken appropriate steps to ensure it is safe.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. normishmael

normishmael Guest

As firzen771 said,I still keep an Anti-virus in addition to Returnil premium,
    to check downloads.
    Other than that,and running Firefox with "drop my Rights" I really feel pretty good.
    Sandboxie now has a nice drop my rights like feature built in.(not turned on by default.)
    It is always the "commit to Real Disk" in Returnil,or "recover" in Sandboxie that has the potential let in what you want to keep out.
    The AV I thank is needed there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.