wmiadap.exe and PG free

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Concerned, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concerned

Concerned Guest

For the last two days ProcessGuard free asks if I want to let wmiadap.exe in C:\ WINDOWS\wbem run at start up. Why ask me now as this is a Windows file and has presumably been running all along ?

2. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

Try doing a search on wmiadap.exe in the forum and you'll find more info on it. By the way, it should be running from C:\ WINDOWS\system32\wbem not C:\ WINDOWS\wbem as far as I know. You might want to check that out, to make sure it's a legit file.

The exe in C:\ WINDOWS\system32\wbem, is part of windows performance monitoring and optimization features, but it starts a couple minutes after the initial boot, not at boot time. Sometimes a Windows Update seems to trigger it to run more often afterwards when it hasn't for a long time which may be why ProcessGuard didn't catch it after initial training. It's kind of a mystery on when it decides to run or not after boot time. On my system it starts up a couple minutes after each boot religiously. It runs with a /f /t switch but every once in a while it decides to run with an additional /r switch.

/f - Parses all the performance libraries on the system.
    /c - Clears all performance library statuses.
    /r - Parses all the Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers on the system.
    /t - Throttles the ADAP process if the user operates the mouse or keyboard.

I haven't tried seeing what happens if it's set to deny always and run for long periods of time. I assume XP gets unoptimized in some unknown way or Gates and Balmer get a bad hair day, I don't really know.

3. Concerned

Concerned Guest

"By the way, it should be running from C:\ WINDOWS\system32\wbem " It is .Thanks for the explanation, makes sense as I have had lots of Windows Updates recently
    Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.