WMDC failure to connect

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mantis, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mantis

Mantis Registered Member

My PC does something terribly odd. I uninstalled ESET earlier, and did some testing. My connection to my mobile device and my PC is solid... as long as I don't disconnect it. Otherwise, I cannot reconnect the device unless I run WinsockxpFix, which has helped me out with many connection issues in the past, even in Vista x64. Then I install ESET. I run it, try to connect and nothing happens.

Not only would i like to make WMDC work with ESET enabled, I would also love to fix the secondary problem that makes it terribly difficult to even TRY to connect mobile to PC.

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 installation with ESET Smart Security 4.2 and I've been enjoying the antivirus and firewall since I had it. Unfortunately, transferring data between my device and PC is limited to SD cards. Recently learned my device cannot handle SDHC so I spent fifty dollars for no reason. Ouch. So next time I am out I need to get a non-HC SD card. :(

I don't wanna keep doing this crap, and I don't feel like formatting which is my typical end-all be-all solution. Any suggestions? Might consider freezing my configuration as soon as this issue is done and dusted.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you temporarily disable the ESET Personal Firewall and then try performing a synchronization with the Windows Mobile device, does the problem still occur?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. slavi

slavi Registered Member

Same problem. Win7 64bit
    With temporaily disabled ESET Firewall WMDC works fine.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you tried switching ESET Personal Firewall into Learning Mode and allowing it to create rules for Windows Mobile Device Center? If so, did that make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. kenl

kenl Registered Member

(this is for windows 7 by the way, not too sure about windows xp with activesync)

ok guys

putting your eset smart security onto learning mode will work straight away,

set it to learning mode and plug the usb cable and replug it in this should set it off to sync properly.

after looking at the rules
    all is needed is an inbound port 5721 for svchost.exe (under system32)
    to get this to work, you can in theory not use learning mode and set this rule yourself under
    Application/Rules
    Host Process for Windows Services

but make sure you set your personal firewall to "Automatic mode with exceptions (user-defined rules)

i've attached screenshot for the rules required.

that will fix wmdc for you.

regards
    kenl

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.