With Shadow Defender Is SB needed ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Long View, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I must admit I never really got on with Sandboxie - so may be missing some of its benefits.

With Shadow Defender in Shadow Mode for all drives/partitions is there really any benefit in running SB as well ? One of the problems when using Returnil is that other drives/partitions are still exposed but this doesn't need to be the case. The ability to exclude or commit also seems to get around the you can't save argument.

So as SD doesn't slow you down but SB can is there still any reason to use SB ?

2. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

I am unable to answer your question.

One thing for sure, I am running both Shadow Defender & SandboxIE.

They are running smoothly together, with no apparent slow down.:D

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I believe there is, it can stop infections earlier and can be block access to your data and you can configure it to block keyloggers and it stops malware earlier and has low level disk access protection (not sure if SD has this).

4. Long View

Sorry not to be clear. The slow down is one the first launch of IE using SB. may not be noticeable on modern machines but SB has to "set itself up"

5. Someone

Hi

On your sig, you use FF?

Thanks

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly. SD will get rid of every thing, but if you download something that can and does steal data while you are shadowed SD does nothing to stop it.

I always run Sandboxie!

7. Long View

indeed - but IE is sometimes needed when visiting some sites ( i understand that this is because they don't follow recognized standards ? or is it explorer that breaks the rules ? I can never remember).

So as per the sig - yes I'm happy using FF without SB but occasionally give it a go. At the moment I'm installing a new pc - faster everything - so when I get around to it I will try SB again. The more I use SD though the more impressed I become.

I have always assume that SB was essentially for IE although it could be used with FF. Are you saying that there is no need with FF or that it doesn't work properly or ...?

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

SBIE and SD for that matter work fine with Firefox, and yes I use it with firefox.

9. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I use both of them. Sandboxie protects my data while using computer. Shadow Defender returns all modifications.

10. ex3

ex3 Registered Member

ive got a low speed lap, using sandboxie does take up lot of processing, iam looking for other sandbox which dont use much of processing processing

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

maybe a conflict of softwares or maybe you have to delete the sandbox
    maybe.
    what is that you use for security?
    did you noticed your slow down whaen surfing or what?

12. Someone

Hi

I was asking if you're using FF, why do you need to use IE? Anyway you already answered the question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.