With Jason gone....

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by dodo, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodo

dodo Guest

Silly question but

With Jason gone does that mean there will be no more updates to PG or PE etc?

Wasnt he the chief programmer??

dodo

2. Interesting question...

3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

good question, and has this anything to do with the fact that last year in December TDS-4 was expected to be released before 2005,
    and now almost a half year later there is still no Beta?

I do like to see TDS-4, and since Microsoft is buying AntiMalware companies
    like bread or coffee the last months, it would not be strange, that Longhorn Or Windows XP/2006 will contain a free alternative.

:doubt:

4. Ceca

Ceca Guest

TDS boys have all gone quite here....

the mystery continues, has the flagshop of Wilders finally cracked and ready to collapse.....

whats the news boyso_O

quiet is not good news...

5. asaia

asaia Guest

Oh lord....the end of Diamond CS....

6. me!

me! Guest

It strongly looks like. Gavin should have taken over Jason's coding duties a long time ago but at least as of now not a single bit came out. They are unable to fix the most simple bugs of which some are in the code since years, not to mention one or two critical flaws in PG they are aware of. Honestly I don't foresee a very bright future for DCS :(

7. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Registered Member

What critical flaws do you mean?

Are they publicly available or are they just known to the developers of ProcessGuard?

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Can i read somewhere something about this departure?

9. tBB

tBB Registered Member

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nah, have you all enjoyed yourself speculating?
    Read again in the various DiamondCS forums and you'll see your answers.
    Stop worrying and enjoy the tools you have.

The DiamondCS tools are top notch, support second to none and FREE, Microsoft can buy and frustrate and include all the developers they want and include them all, but they are still not really comparative with any of the DiamondCS tools.

Be glad Gavin did not take over Jason's developments, as who would take care of all the daily updates?
    Even though a very gifted one, don't think Jason is the only programmer on this planet, there are more and even located in Perth, working too hard to post in any forum.
    Fortunately Jason is still around and close by even in this forum and located in Perth too and developing very fine tools too to add to our system's security.

You're all complaining the DiamondCS guys are not posting too often in the forums: expect them to have hands full with very important matters we're all waiting for to be shown to the world.
    This is not even sounding cryptic! :ninja:

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

This idle speculation without the hint of basis in fact is really beyond me. In any commercial organization people shift internally and come and go. While that can disrupt progress short term, to state that it is the end of this or that is naive beyond belief.

As this is neither a support nor program issue, this thread is closed.

Blue

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Re: Writeup in May 24 issue PC Magazine

With this recognition even more people would realize the joke that has become of the way DiamondCS keeps its customers up-to-date and the way they treat the same customers that are understandably concerned about future support for the products they've purchased.

13. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Although a bit harsh maybe, I agree with most of your words. Diamond promises and promises but nothing comes. And I can't imagine that PG, which I bought from them, is totally finished, so that no updates are needed. There isn't any product on the world with that, alas.

14. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

dallen,
    Give it a break mate, they may not have met your expectations but why harp on about it

I don't suppose that you are actually suggesting that people would be better off ignoring the products like PG at their current level of evolution

And Edwin I have to agree that PG is still in need of improvements but even with its minor flaws and the current question mark about non-alerted driver installations it is *much* better than nothing

NB: Peter2150 do you happen to have a link to the writeup ?

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  15. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Why harp on about it? I'll tell you. I paid for four products, two of which were developed by a guy that is no longer a part of DiamondCS. We were promised a new version of TDS at least 6 months ago and when anyone inquires into the delay, they are told to shut up and be happy. You can play along with the other lemmings, but I chose to speak up. And to comment on PG being better than nothing: I think the only thing worst than no security is a false sense of security.

16. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

dallen,
    Don't get me wrong I do understand that you are frustrated, as well as seemingly having something against lemmings :)
    I also have an inkling that your frustrations have already been adequately conveyed to DCS in other posts (particularly in the TDS forum)
    Merely continuing to repeat yourself doesn't really make your case any stronger or make DCS any more likely to answer (or deliver), it just takes threads off-topic.
    For the record I happen to agree with you that DCS could do a better job of communicating to their customers, but if I wanted to convey that to them I'd probably start a thread called "How can we improve communication between DCS and customers"

I think you'd probably feel better about the issues if you just called their office and spoke to Wayne directly and asked him. At least then you would know for a fact that your concerns have been heard

And back to PG again, I think it is a question of understanding what security PG actually provides. I can't say I've looked through many of your posts so I don't know what level of experience you have, but its not hard to see where PG is or could be vulnerable.

The recommended approach at Wilders is to have layered security and issues (big and small) are likely to crop up in all products that you purchase.
    The point being that thinking that any combination of products will protect your PC will give you a false sense of security. There will always be ways for malware to get around security obstacles, its just a question of whether you are unlucky enough to encounter the threat

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

dallen,

These types of discussions are pointless. There's one group that is more anxious than the user base to get TDS4 out, and that's DCS. Like most commercial enterprises in this business, they have to balance resource allocation. Of anyone here, reading from your sig, you should understand the issues involved. More work devoted to keeping up on signatures slows application development. Shifts in personnel slow development. These are simple commercial realities. Would I like a copy of TDS4 in my hands? Of course. But continually creating a circumstance to which DCS has to respond, doesn't help me in that regard. At the end of the day, what are you trying to accomplish? Anything? Or are you simply venting your frustration with the situation?

Personally, I don't appreciate being painted as a lemming, as you've done so blithely in your post. I'm not. I am a realist. New versions will appear as fast as organizationally possible. If the landscape changes before it's released (e.g. an SP3 for XP, new types of malware appearing, and so on), maybe additional delays will be incurred. As I said above, the folks at DCS aren't keeping the new versions under wraps to prevent us from enjoying the fruits of their labors. They are making sure the programs are ready, work as designed, and do no harm.

As for Jason leaving DCS: did you purchase applications or hire a personal consultant and programmer? These types of shifts happen daily, you simply are not apprised of it. If the program you purchased works, I don't see the issue. And no, that's not the comment of a lemming.

Regards,

Blue

18. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

ProcessGuard is a DiamondCS project, and belongs to no individual - not Jason, not me. I actually first envisaged it 1-2 years before I hired Jason, as Gavin and myself were looking into ways of preventing termination (at about the same time remote access trojans first started terminating security software). While Jason was employed by DiamondCS he was the lead developer on ProcessGuard and as you can see has done an excellent job with that during the time he was here, but he has since moved on to start up his own business, and we've also moved on with a new programmer who is likewise extremely talented and already producing some exciting software that you'll all see very soon. He doesn't visit any forums in case you were wondering why you haven't seen him here - all his time is spent on development - 100% productivity. However we're currently very happy with where ProcessGuard is at so we're now working on TDS-4, and hope to release that before any more ProcessGuard updates.

Best regards,
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.