With free firewall is compatible with Avast!6 Free 6.0.1125

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ocsi, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

With free firewall is compatible with Avast!6 Free 6.0.1125? (XP SP3, 512 Mb). Without Comodo or Online Armor

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

both firewall only are (without included AV)

3. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

No. Do not you understand. Without Comodo and Online Armor. Something light on resources.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Outpost free maybe. Although with just 512Mb ram there will be issues always. Add more Ram if you can.

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I have tested with Avast: Outpost 2009 Free, OA Free 4.5 and 5, Privatefirewall (all with HIPS/monitor) and whitout HIPS: NetVeda, Filseclab, GhostWall...FW whitout monitor are very light but the lightest ist GhostWall - about 1 MB of RAM.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5. I'm using it alongside Avast 6 and it works perfectly.

7. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I use ZoneAlarm Free with Netgear Router firewall and Avast, I'm sick of HIPS featured firewalls.
    In the last 3 years that I have used HIPS featured firewalls, I have experienced; failed Windows Updates, compatibility issues with third-party software, corrupt driver updates, system crashes, system lockups, etc.

Then I ask myself how many times has these HIPS features actually blocked malware on my system. The answer is NOT one single malware was ever blocked. Avast took care of any malware issues along with some common internet knowledge to know what NOT to do to get an infection.

ZoneAlarm Free is an excellent firewall and is very user friendly and never has caused any problems on my system.

In the future, I predict more AV adding features like Auto sandboxing which will be much better and user friendly than using HIPS featured firewalls. Just like in the past where you had to use separate Anti-Spyware and Anti-virus software.

Thanks.:D

8. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Private Firewall. Runs very Light. Has decent HIPS.

9. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You haven't stated what do you expect from firewall, it may appear that built-in one would be quite enough. And that is to say many people do not use software firewalls and they say they are happy.

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Of course it's true when you are only one user and you have some skills. I think another firewalls are more comfortable for most average users...
    - one option, one click and you have disabled sharing of files, printers, etc (Privatefirewall, Filscelab)
    - one clik and your firewall works like router (Outpost)
    - one view and you see all connetction, name of application, IP (OA, Filseclab)
    - one click and you are able to kill connection, application, block IP, port etc.
    - one view and you are able to trust or untrust network (PC Tools, OA)
    Each firewall has some different features...sometimes for one user are adequate those and sometimes quite different and only user can decide which one.

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

"To have, or not to have: that is the question!" The question is does the guy really needs anything of these options or he just needs firewall "because everybody needs it" :)

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Maybe not always it's needed or necessary when using a desktop computer at home but
    - can be important when using a laptop for example in public places
    - lets us control which applications and how connect to the network
    - allow access to wi-fi at home only trusted computers (MAC address control)
    - allows control vulnerable ports
    - and in general - improve protection against data leakage (IMO :))

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

The combination of the firewall included in a modern router plus Windows Firewall will do the job perfectly.

14. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

It seems that you are a newbie, i wont recomend comodo, zone alarm will do, and it will generally do well

15. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I'm using outpost security suite 7.1 free, it disables its own active malware protection and creates a special folder for avast...smooth running:)

16. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

OK. I decided to Privatefirewall. Now I use: Avast Free + Privatefirewall (Router - Firewall: WPA2-PSK) + Sandboxie. End ... it is still very good.
    Thanks for the responses.

17. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Excellent configuration. I don't see any weak link in your chain ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.