Wish List for ZoneAlarm Products and Services

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This is an open invitation to all ZA users past, present and future to post: wishes for changes, improvements, fixes, complements, complaints regarding any current ZA products and services.

The goal of these posts is to attract the firm's positive attention. The forums have many current issues such as compatibility with Vista, other widely used security software, user forum policy and practices, product performance both plus and minus please.

There is also a related poll in Reviews over at techguy which that could also benefit from input. In case you can't find that poll here it is the link:

http://forums.techguy.org/reviews/54...duct-line.html

Speak up! But, please no "flaming" those will no doubt be removed / edited by our moderator(s).

If enough input is received it can be consolidated into a single wish list for the vendor with zero duplicates.

Please include:

1. Your operating system information version,
    2. ZA Product and (version) you are posting about,
    3. Description of the issue/problem/opportunity
    4. What is the solution?
    5. Has a SR gone to ZA Support? describe response ?
    6. Did you posted this matter in the ZA User Forum? what was response?

Advice: Don't violate your T of S or License agreement with them in inputing to the wish list

The goal is to provide constructive ideas or criticism and suggested solutions.

2. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Aside from any compatability issues. One of the main reasons I stopped using ZA was that it started getting a bit bloated, and wanted to do too much. I do not want my firewall to be my AV, or even monitor my AV for that matter. The last version I liked was 4.5.594, though it has memory usage issues if you torrent for long periods of time.

I would like to see a ZoneAlarm classic. patterned after the early versions. A firewall with few bells and whistles, maybe some limited hips functionality, and no bloat.

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

all i can say is fix the bugs....more promptly...
    Try to communicate with customers,via their forums,so as to inform them that their problems are being worked upon...and a fix will be released on such and such date...
    I would also like to see,za-techs,visiting their forums and helping people solve their problems...
    Their online tech-support is non-sense and they keep asking their customers to"re-install" their products over&over again for every problem...so they should try to get real with it!

4. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Escalader

I can see you are on a personal crusade with Zone Labs? Has your issue with the mail safe and the vault been resolved?

Perhaps instead of concentrating your time with this, why not not skip the ZA and use another firewall? Other users have done the same. We all have tried many software applications and found our favorites. There are lots that we have dropped or passed over.

ZAAV version7

12fw

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    My 2 cents!!

The best for registered users and/or trial users is to submit suggestion directly to their ZA technical support web form. This will maximise the chance that improvements and new features will be considered for the next main builds of ZA (www.zonelabs.com/tsform)

And usually beta testing feedback will go straight to the developers. So be ready to feedback your suggestion once the VISTA beta will be released for testing (don't ask when because I don't know, actually I don't even know if a VISTA beta will be released :eek:).

Fax

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would certainly like to see within the firewall, the ability of the user to control ZA`s internet access of its own applications, or at the minimal, for these connections to be fully logged.

... and please, let's focus on the topic of the thread, not the poster.

Regards,
    Stem

7. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Some time ago I suggested to Check Point that an application that contains only the "Triple Firewall" components of the pay versions of ZA be released. I stressed how the experienced user would appreciate this. I've not received a reply.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Although the present version was given a substantial amount of beta testing and I presume was really looked at before it was released, my impression of the present management at Check Point is that either they lack the competence to take a leadership role and deliver a superior application, or they are capitalizing on the loyalty of their customers by releasing sub standard software. When I installed my first version 5.5 I thought ZASS was the best thing since sliced bread. It fit in my system like a hand in a glove. With each subsequent upgrade, I saw more and more serious problems arise for the subscribers, until as of late it has become a crap shoot just to click the upgrade button. Finally, if you should have to do an uninstall/re-install, you must follow a long and exact process to do it without causing still more problems. I think that the most pro active measure the company can do is take a look at their staff and make some changes. ZoneAlarm is too good a firewall application to continue in its present direction. I want to be able to install it again confidently.

9. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

From what I have seen, the version 5.5 is the least bloaty.

The uninstall/reinstall is easy. It is the manual uninstall/reinstall that is messy. That would be normal under any circumstances. The Comodo when normally uninstalled leaves a pile of junk in the registry and a few files. Not fun at all.

The lean ZA would be a blessing to the community. No content filtering or ad blocker or monitors or email filtering or antispy scanner. Just a straight forward firewall.

12fw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.