wireless networks...what's better?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kuba, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuba

kuba Registered Member

I am going to be needing a wireless card/usb router.
    I'm going to be feeding off, my dad's Linksys' cable feed.
    Wondering if there was a difference between an internal wireless card, or getting a usb based one, other than the obvious.
    What do you recommend?
    Got my eye on D-links G132 model. (for the external)
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=358
    Since I've been working on them a lot lately in terms of helping friends and setting up their wireless home networks.
    Thanks.
    Just out of curiosity are they planning on making these rates transfer faster in the future, or is this it, in terms of the speeds on these wireless routers?*puppy**puppy**puppy*

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Kuba, as your thread is about Hardware, I have moved it to this forum where it should receive better attention.

Cheers :D

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

kuba,

I took a quick look at the D-Link docs and didn't see a rated throughput listed. Clearly the USB connection can handle the high speed connection, but sustained throughput relative to the connection sustained throughput is what is important. My only similar experience was when I had to pick up a wired USB ethernet accessory while traveling - it was a Linksys unit rated for 10/100 Mbps connections, but had a throughput spec of ~12 Mbps (this is basically the USB 1.1 spec that the device operated at). Naturally, I noticed minor lag on a 100 Mbps line. If your PC USB connections support USB 2.0, my best guess is that you'll not notice any major difference between this and an internal card. If it's USB 1.1, you may notice some very minor effects - I say very minor since this speed is still likely faster than your overall connection speed.

As for wireless connection speed, it's really relative to the service connection that is important. Right now service connections are generally less than 10 Mbps for most of us and there isn't a real driver for the "fast" wireless rates to go much faster than 54/108 Mbps until those connections speed up to be the same order of magnitude as the modem/router to PC link.

Blue

4. kuba

kuba Registered Member

So Mr. Blue, what you're saying is it really doesn't matter all that much, although an internal would be more stable?
    My mobo (A7N8X-X) has 4 2.0 USB ports apparently, but whenever, (in the past), I plugged something in, I would get pop-ups saying something along the lines of "it would be better if you plugged this USB device into USB 2.0 ports for a more stable and faster connection, bla bla bla".
    Those ports are the ones found at the back of the computer, which is where I had plugged the device.
    Guess I'll stick to internal, I just thought mayb external would be better a little, because, you could physically move it around the desk if you needed to, for a better reception.
    (thanks btw:thumb::cool::thumb:)

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I haven't seen any difference in stability, just a bit in speed with USB 1.1 based connections.
    Sure sounds like a 1.1 connection. Maybe a driver update is in order.
    The internal card should have a larger antenna, I would think that would win over minor positioning differences. In any event, both would likely work fine, differentiation would come with marginal signals.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.