Wireless KVM 4-Port

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Not sure how to accomplish this: Below my work shop desk, I have two computers, in like a ,cupboard, the top of the cupboard is desktop, with one monitor. Next to the cupboard, I've attached a small night stand. The night stand becomes (periodically), a perch, for computers, I remove malware for club members.

I would like to switch between the two cupboard, computers, and occasionally connect a 3rd pc, for malware removal. All with one wireless mouse keyboard combo. Normal usage would be between the two in cupboard, connect the 3rd when required.

I've so far seen this: http://www.medengineers.com/blog/?p=122

poster "Dennis" seems to have the answer, for two machines. Visiting Amazon, the switch "Dennis" mentions says "supports wireless, yet I can't seem to find a 4-port. Somewhat confused here.

Questions:

The mouse & keyboard antenna, would this go onto the KVM switch.

For the 3rd (occasional) computer, could I just leave the video cord hooked up to the KVM, the other end would be not connected (loose) until needed?

If the switch is in the cupboard (with the 2 machines) I never want to plug anything into it again, all connections, for 3rd machine done, outside. Or less preferable if necessary for the 3rd machine hookup is the KVM on the desktop.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes, but note he said it is best to use a separate USB dongles (antennas) for the mouse and keyboard. That is, don't use a wireless keyboard and mouse "set" that normally use one dongle for both devices.

That said, I think you are setting yourself up for extreme hair loss and blood pressure problems. Especially due to the fact you plan on connecting and disconnecting different computers (with possibly different operating systems and drivers). KVM switches can be troublesome to begin with. So can USB connections. So can Bluetooth connections. Combine all three, then swap computers in and out and I think you'll be banging your head against the wall in no time.

I think using a KVM for your two permanent computers is fine. But I recommend keeping a spare wired keyboard and mouse handy for troubleshooting the temporary 3rd computers will make for a saner life and natural hairline.

Now for your monitor, most monitors support more than one input. You should be able to connect the KVM's monitor cable to one input, and keep a cable connected to the other for troubleshooting the temporary computers. Just remember to kill the power to the monitor before connecting the 3rd computer, or keep the selected input on the KVM until the video cable is connected to avoid any shorting issues while connecting.

IN THEORY - your plan is great. But in practice, I see major frustrations. And remember, not all KVM switches are created equal. In fact, most are junk. So if going with a KVM, invest in a good one and make sure it is "hot-swappable."

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks Bill

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You're welcome and good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.