Wireless adaptors

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Tony, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, i am currently using a Netgear WG111T wireless adaptor for my internet connection to my DG834GT router.

Problem is whenever i download large files, the WG111T adaptor continuously loses connection and i have to unplug then re-plug to reconnect.
    From reading numerous internet pages, this would seem like a common fault with this adaptor that Netgear seem to ignore.

As i dont have a spare PCI slot, can anyone recommend a reliable adaptor that will stay connected whilst downloading large files as this Netgear adaptor is really bugging me ATM.

2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

try updating the firmware to the latest. check your system for malware. wireless has 11 channels all in the 2.4Ghz range. you could have interference from something nearby or another router in the area. try experimenting on different channels. that Netgear model is particular recommended for long noisy lines far from the exchange. it still holds on syncing with a very low SNR margin. check the SNR margin it should be around 6dB or above for good connection displayed on the status page of the router. under that can give alot disconnections. there has been alot rain here in England which has lowered the SNR alot. moisture gets into the cables. also try removing the face plate on your phone socket and plug the filter directly into the test socket. it can give a better signal if there's interference. try a different network driver for the PCI wireless card. it sounds it constantly disconnecting just you don't notice unless you download large files. check the router logs. if you use BT answer 1571, the waiting messages cut the internet until you clear them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks markymoo :thumb:

I have already tried your suggestions, SNR is currently 9.4, all firmware is current, i have tried all 11 channels, some are better than others but all disconnect when downloading large files.
    I dont have 1571.
    I also made sure that it is not set to go to sleep in properties.

It is not the router that is disconnecting but the WG111T wireless adaptor, once it loses connection the only way to restore is by unplugging and plugging it in again.
    My routers connection is rock solid.

i did originally have the router wired to my computer, but my daughters laptop could not always get a signal in her bedroom as it is a fair distance from my computer and has a very thick stone walls to go through.
    The wireless adaptor was free with my router, so it is no great loss to buy another more reliable one.

If you do a google for WG111t disconnecting you will find plenty of people who have the same problem with this adaptor, plenty of suggestions to try but nothing seems to work.

Netgear customer support is useless.

4. markymoo

Netgear gear is usually alright overall but not had much experience of USB network adapters. They tend to get very hot and can result in crashing. I was going to suggest disabling PM as it a common cause but you tried that. Did it work without disconnecting ever from beginning? I suggest setting router back to factory settings saving your login and passwords and try it without encryption on. Turn off any software or hardware firewall. Yes trying another branded adapter is the way to go. I was going to get that DG834GT, it's abit dated now and still around £60 and for similar price can get Rangemax later technology for similar price but don't know if perform well on low SNR.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  5. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I have decided to go for The Edimax EW-7318USG

It seems to get good reviews from various websites so i have taken the plunge.
    I will let you know how i get on when it arrives.
    Thanks markymoo :)

6. markymoo

That USB stick with the aerial might get through that stone wall, just don't put that type in your pocket lol. I have used Edimax 7084gA router, was fine except the config screens had awful layout.

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hehehe :-D

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good choice.
    i got my parents a edimax pci wirelesscard and it works great.

9. Tony

Tony Registered Member

UPDATE

I received the Edimax EW-7318USG today.
    What a difference.
    Everything is so much faster.
    I can now download at a constant and full speed, i have downloaded a linux live cd with no disconnections or slowdowns whatsoever.
    The signal strength is showing as excellent with full 5 bars.

So its goodbye to Netgear for me from now on, if anyone is thinking of getting the :thumbd: WG111T:thumbd: then dont bother, even web browsing has improved considerably :thumb:

10. markymoo

A happy ending :D

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Sure is :)
    Still not been disconnected :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.