Wiping hard drives

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by kevvyb2005, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevvyb2005

kevvyb2005 Registered Member

I know this is fraught with difficulties but I would quite like ot sell my old hard drives. Is this something you would do?

I have erased files with either iolo search and destroy 'file terminator or the secure shredder in Spybot, doing over 5 passes to ensure a randon bit pattern.

I have then deleted all the partitions with PM and then low level formatted the drives as well with the relevant manufacturer software for the drive.

A search with Iolo Search and Destroy for files that can be recovered ahs then found nothing of any real note in fact giving only one 'system' file (can't remember what it was).

Would it be best to hold onto these as possible xtra storage? Would it be bettre to destroy them rather than selll on?

2. You'll be fine just dont sell em to a blue meanie. You mite get more $ if you reinstall XP.

Personally, I like to bust em open (its fun!) take the shiny discs out and arc weld into a molten blob. just be sure to use eye protection!

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Eventually your current drive will die.. it may be a good idea to keep hold of at least one of them to copy your data from. From what you've described, however, I wouldn't see any problem with selling them if you really wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.