WinZip Moves To The Cloud With Launch Of ZipShare

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/24/wi...ay-to-zip-share-manage-all-your-online-files/

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Is there anything these days that doesn't include the cloud?

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

'Cloud' is the buzzword these days, like 'Turbo' was for cars in the 1980s.

It gets the millennial's really excited, they feel edgy, and cool when they talk about 'the cloud', and act like they are super advanced or something. I had a guy behind me in line at Microcenter that kept talking about the cloud, over and over. Then he declared 'the PC is dead, cloud wins'. I looked in his cart, and he had a refurbished HP he was buying.. :cautious: We can only hope the whole cloud thing will die off, like YOLO did.

I wasn't aware people still used Winzip, it seems so bloated compared to WinRAR, especially with the advent of RAR5.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I did away with Winzip after they kept bundling more, and more bloatware with their installer. NOD 32 would go nuts everytime I tried to upgrade. I purchased Winrar after that, and I have been very happy with it! I will never go back to Winzip again.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here. I bought WinZip back in the days of version 5 when it was a supposed lifetime license. At this point it is an annual non free upgrade that requires activation. WinRAR was a much better investment.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Seems stupid to me but I guess there's a slight chance winzip will make money off this.

7-Zip FTW!

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I wonder if the revenue they make bundling open candy in their installer is more than the business they lose with their bad business practice.

8. JacquesLamontagne

JacquesLamontagne Registered Member

Hi,

My name is Jacques Lamontagne and I work for WinZip. I do encourage you to at least give ZipShare a fair run. It's still in beta so might be a bit slow (debuggers running), but we did give it our best and have not added any marketing features to it.

Cheers!

Jacques

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hope not. They took a good program and turned it into garbage. I understand that lifetime licenses are not profitable long term, but what they have become is ridiculous. I am not going to pay annual fees for a zip utility. :thumbd:

10. Cutting_Edgetech

The only way I will ever use them again is if they stop bundling open candy in their installers. I don't agree with paid software bundling open candy in their installer. To be quit honest I have no reason to go back to Winzip now. I'm very happy with Winrar. I've been actively working with several security companies for many years, and 3 of them has told me this week they are feed up with open candy. I think users have to start making a stand. It's gotten out of hand.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

7-Zip & to a lesser extent WinRAR make winzip superfluous.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, Winzip had lots of Bells & Whistles the last time I used it. I have not used it since version 14 if I remember correctly. I don't know what it is like now.

13. mattdocs12345

Nobody in their sane mind is going to pay yearly fees for zip utility while there are so many free options.

14. JacquesLamontagne

Correction: The Standard Zipshare web application is 100% free. No strings attached.

15. JacquesLamontagne

Note that the article is about ZipShare, a new service from WinZip. ZipShare is a web app, so accessible from any device, and it is 100% free, no strings attached. While it does do file compression, that is not its primary function. Zipshare's primary use is for file sharing using your existing cloud accounts. I invite you to try it out then provide your impressions.

Kind regards,

Jacques at WinZip

16. JacquesLamontagne

ZipShare Standard is a web app that is 100% free. It's the Pro account that will have an annual fee to use. That one includes File encryption, delivery tracking, and full cloud file management (zip, unzip, move from one cloud account to another, re-share, delete, zip and unzip) and more. Please do try out the Beta and send us your comments. We do want to make the product better.

Jacques at WinZip

17. JacquesLamontagne

Hello DocPC,

The article talks about a new product, yes from WinZip the company, called ZipShare. ZipShare is very different to WinZip and while it DOES use the WinZip in the background, it is in effect a web app. This means that you can access and use ZipShare on any connected device with a common browser without any software installation (not even AVG or Sugar Candy ;-)!

What Standard ZipShare does - totally free and no strings attached - is let you upload either local files or files in your cloud accounts such as Dropbox, Google Drive or others and batch them together in a zip file that you can share via email or social media using a unique link. As well, it lets you view all your cloud drives from a single location.

The Pro version (free during the Beta program) also adds password protection, file delivery tracking and cloud file management capabilities amongst other features.

I hope you will try it and send us feedback!

Kind regards,

Jacques at WinZip.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry this cloud **** is **** just total ****.

I don't have anything to hide.

But I'm not going to make it easier on the 3 letter orgs to have my files. That's what the cloud is used for. But it might take 5 or 10 years for this to be common knowledge.

19. mattdocs12345

100% agree. Anything cloud is just a simple way for the goons to access your files.

20. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

While I'm not against having my personal files out amongst the goons and cloud (I have little or nothing to hide), I have a problem with all the overhead and fleeting nature of cloud "stuff".

I can't imagine having to keep track of all these services, subscriptions, accounts, and miscellaneous utilities. A pain ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ to be sure. Multiple passwords (all different as is recommended), differing expiry dates of subscriptions, updates to utilities and all that, ughhh!! I'm overwhelmed!!

It's good WinZip recognizes that data compression on a file-by-file basis is a thing of the 80's and 90's. Back then we did compression to save space on HDD. Back then we did compression to lessen the amount of data being sent over a dial-up modem. Today none of this matters. It hasn't even mattered for the past 10 years. The savings afforded by compression are simply not relevant anymore.

And most of the files created today are videos, photos, and sometimes audio clips. None of these lend themselves to any kind of compression.

What remains useful is the "container aspect" and encryption, or the aggregating of hundreds or thousands of files into one for security and convenience. People that need this functionality (I believe) are savvy enough to seek out WinRAR or 7-Zip. The first being a really nice package, and the latter being free. And both not having anything to do with installing mal-ware.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I know this is a discussion about their new service and not WinZip, I agree that people are going to use WinRAR or 7-Zip instead of WinZIP. WinRAR has an excellent design and is hard to find fault with, whereas in my opinion the user interface in WinZip could not be much worse.

As for cloud services, I really hate the name "cloud," it seems rather silly since their is no actual cloud involved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.