[Winzip 15.5] Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello,

I did a search, but couldn't find any discussion around this version.

Note: I have no intentions of making this a thread about other compression tools. This is only about Winzip 15.x.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone is using it, and what's been the experience so far? Any major issues regarding compression in general, issues with specific file types compression, a not so great compression? Etc. That kind of stuff.

I'm considering to get it, because I've found 7-zip to be quite buggy in the latest versions, not to mention the lack of ASLR support.

I liked Winzip's GUI. I work a lot with compressed file, so I pleasant GUI it's always welcome.

Also, if you ever needed to contact their support, were you ever lucky? Did they answer you back? Not helpful, at all?

Thanks

2. guest

guest Guest

That's not enough for me to pick it, but I quite agree: of all compression tools, WinZip got the hands down nicest GUI.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Never really felt the need to move away from 7zip, it being a zip program, I don't see how having ASLR enabled would really be of any benefit. But if that bothers you, add it to EMET?

4. Technical

Technical Registered Member

7zip at ultra compression does the job. I have never found a problem (or bug) in it.
    IZArc is another tool that can be used.
    Why do we need a shareware when we have excellent freeware tools?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Using WinRAR myself. 7zip is problematic for me and it also is terrible at opening archives that aren't completely finished (an example being an archive one is downloading from the net. I often do this to make certain the files that are said to be in the archive, are the right files). WinRAR has no such issues.

Edit: IZArc went the OpenCandy route, which is a turn-off for me personally.

6. m00nbl00d

A nice GUI is not reason enough for me either. lol Which is why I'm looking to see what others have to say how it works. I could look for some reviews, but nothing beats experience, IMHO. :)

But, if the compression tool I end up choosing does have a pleasant GUI, then it's a plus, because I work a lot with compressed files, and it's always nice to a nice GUI. 7-zip's one always freaked me out. :D

But, that's not why I'm ditching it. I'm ditching because I've found it to be problematic. For example, in the latest releases, including beta and alpha, I always had to go to Default Programs to make 7-zip open whatever file types I wanted, because when installing it, it would never apply my choices.

What user dw426 mentioned is something that I also dislike about 7-zip. It's just a sum of issues that make me not want to use it anymore.

When I started using it a few years, it wasn't bad... but, somehow got worse over time. :(

The issue is that it will install a Windows Explorer shell extension, opening Explorer to attacks. It's the only tool I got that does it. :argh:

I could add Explorer.exe to EMET, but I'd still be left with the other 7-zip issues.

It's quite funny that in my quest to see more compression tools, WinRAR and Winzip are about the only ones supporting ASLR. lol

7. m00nbl00d

As user dw426 mentioned, IZArc went the "naughty" way. :D

8. m00nbl00d

Anyway, any personal experiences with Winzip? Specially, newest 15.x version?

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I bought winzip earlier in the year when they had a special on. So far i've had no issues with any of the version 15 releases so i dont know what the customer support is like. As a compression tool its works really well and has a lot of nice extra features to go with it and like other people have said the UI is very nice and its easy to use. That being said i wont be renewing my license when it expires, i just cant justify paying for it on a yearly basis. Any of the free alternatives suffice for my basic needs and i think i have an old winrar license lying around which i believe is a lifetime license. Plus their installer annoys me a bit as they always try to advertise and get you to install additional software.

10. m00nbl00d

I believe it tries to make you install Google toolbar... You're right.

Would it hurt for Winzip and others have a free version? :D

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Don't they anyway? WinRAR can/could be used beyond the trial, you just had to deal with "Buy me" pop-ups.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I am using it. I also have WinRar installed because I like the SFX packages it makes. But there are a rare few zip files that it will not open so Winzip gets kept around. I have been a licensed user since version 6. I got an email from the about a version 16 that is upcoming that will be available in 64 bit. I'm sure I will use it even though I am resentful of Corel changing the licensing when they bought them out (the lifetime license I bought is now pretty much an annual upgrade). If you hold out long enough they usually email a good enough offer though.

As for 15.5 it does have a nice GUI and it is a very stable and reliable program. I have not contacted their support in a long time but when I did they were great.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

WinZip 15.5

I use WinRAR :thumb:
    Never bothered with WinZip...

14. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Is there a 64 bit version? Sorry m00nbl00d.

16. m00nbl00d

For what? :D

-edit-

It seems it has. http://www.win-rar.com/download.html I hope this is what you were asking for. lol

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  17. The Hammer

For asking about something other than WinZip 15.5. Thank's for the link though.:)

18. axial

axial Registered Member

I've used Winzip for many years, since about DOS days. I've contacted Winzip support a couple of times, not for performance issues but for update / license questions; both replies were within 24 hours.

I've been on ver 14.5 for a long time; just bit on an e-mailed update offer for 15.5 plus free update to 16 whenever it comes out.

The 15.5 icons are "MS Office ribbon-ified", but I believe there's a preference switch to go back to the old style.

Haven't had any issues with functionality, so far it seems very "smooth".

19. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I think the last time I used WinZip I was running Windows Me. I bought WinRAR back in 2006 and have used it ever since (after running the trial for a long time).

20. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

WinZip System Utilities anyone? xD
    I use WinRAR, better and not gone the copycat registry cleaner **** course.

21. m00nbl00d

Apparently, not... Unless, you run it in Sandboxie. :D

Attached Files:

22. The Hammer

WinRAR trial licence is for 40 days and it says I have to purchase after that. So I guess I'll see what happens.

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

You get a "Buy-Me" popup every time you start it lol it's not a biggy

24. The Hammer

Thank's for the confirmation.:) Added it to my netbook.

25. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

And if you only use the right click menu you'll never see the nag screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.