WinXP update

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Loki, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hello,

I have 3 computers running WinXP Pro, 2 of those have service pack1 installed. I was just at windows update and on the 2 with the service pack these updates are posted:

810833: Security Update (Windows XP)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft(r) Windows(r) and gain control over it. This issue is most likely to affect computers used as servers. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft.

329170: Security Update (Windows XP)

A security vulnerability has been identified that could allow an attacker to disrupt a facility by which security settings are applied to Windows-based computers in a corporate network. This could allow the attacker to loosen settings on his or her own computer or impose tighter ones on someone else's. Network administrators can help eliminate this issue by installing this update.

On the computer without service pack 1 these updates are not shown.
    Looks like MS is trying to make you have the service pack.

Off i go to look for that down load manually.

Wish me happy hunting

Loki :cool:

2. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi,

Ok I was able to find them in the manual update section. Downloaded and installed. This was on the page:
    The patch for Windows XP can be installed on systems running Windows XP Gold or Service Pack 1.

Can anyone else confirm or deny that this update is not available on the Windows Update page for WinXP Pro without service pack 1.

Thanks

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Loki, I cannot confirm what you ask but I know that MS stated that security patches through winupdate would be for SP1 & up, this was partly to stop the cracked versions of XP being updated & to force cracked copy users to pay for a licence.

4. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Pilli,

I hate service pack 1 it undid all my custom settings and cause me other problems. That's why I setup one computer without the service pack. I'll be reinstalling XP on one of the other computers and set it up without SP1 but this now means i'll have to leave one setup with the service pack. Gee thanks MS :mad:.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.