Winword & Driver ?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by beethoven, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Can anybody please tell me why winword.exe wants to install a driver? At present I deny and everything seems to work fine just as well? o_O

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Just a guess, but are you using any speech input or anything else like that?

That could require a driver.

3. beethoven

No, however the printer is accessed via a network. Still, even with denying the request, sofar I have not seen any negative outcome :doubt:

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

What is the driver (filename)?

-rich

5. Engine

Engine Guest

Don't worry to allow it since Winword.exe is a trusted file. Generally speaking, you can allow all TRUSTED applications what they need (install drivers, services etc.) but anyway and I recommend you to go through all applications in protection tab and check if there are not any suspicious ones. Of great help can serve you PG database on PG home page.

BTW, in my case winword.exe needs to have allowed installation of a driver when creating a PDF file using a virtual PDF printer driver.

Regards,
    Engine

6. beethoven

I don't know - where does PG tell me that. Under alerts it just states that winword.exe tried to install a driver / service - Process ID 3328

thanks engine, I had not yet seen this. While winword is not listed there, some other files I have seen popping up (copernic) are there :D

7. joanne1898

joanne1898 Guest

WINWORD.EXE IS A VIRUS CALLED TROJAN DRIVUS ACCORDING TO SYMANTEC AND SOPHOS ALSO SAYS IT IS THOUGH A DIFFERENT NAME.

8. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Regdefend will tell you the name of the driver if ProcessGuard isn't doing it and you want the information to do some more research before you allow it

The 2 programs complement each other quite nicely

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you have any of the microsoft office then winword.exe is probably Word. Note when you start Microsoft Outlook, winword.exe also starts. This is normal. If you don't have any of the Office programs or Microsoft Word installed then I would check out winword.exe very closely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.