Winsonar

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by minacross, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I'm currently using Winpatrol but I found a program that monitors processes called Winsonar.
    Can it be substitute for Winpatrol?
    How good is it?
    thanx in advance.. :D

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

theyre different products so u can use them together.

as for winsonar, i think the gui is, if i may say, ugly and its functionality is ambiguous to me. personally i feel theres better security programs out there.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I don't see any correlataion between form and function, one is indepedent of the other. If software works precisely as advertised, which winsonar does, and very effectively, then how it looks is of secondary importance. I have seen a lot worse, and once you have set up your allow and block list and other options, you shouldn't see it very often. It just quietly and very quickly blocks all unknown executables from ever running

Hardly what many people would call ambiguous ? And it's a very good free program that is absolutely worth installing, and which has many other features included as well. There is a new version that was released very recently build 6.01.08 http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/winsonar.html

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i didnt say there was any correlation, i just think the gui could be better
    maybe the program was so simple i made things more complex?

im not sure but IMO, i find other HIPS easier to use for program control.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I remember using 2004 version,but could not recall how did it function. Does it perform in the catagory of process guard? And how does it compare to process guard free? Thanks.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It just scans memory and registry and tells u if it find/ terminate an unknown process acc to its settings, also tells new start up registry enteries.
    There is a safe process list. The majot annoyance I felt was that there is no easy way to add processes in safe list, moreover no way to arrange differentprocesses alphabetical/ company name wise etc as in process explorer, so if u want to find a process u have to search all the list.

I agree with WSFuser that GUI is not so good.

It uses about 26 MB ram on my test laptop with XP Pro. BUT I think when I have a HIPS like SSM, I don,t need winsonar.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.