WinsoNAR 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by notageek, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I seen someone suggest this program and I was wondering how does it stack up to programs like SSM and Abtrusion Protection? I use SSM now and like it but if Winsonar is better than SSM I would change.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It is a reasonable program with quite a few features. It's good that it also runs on Windows 9x. Unfortunately it only has a usermode protection scheme (like SSM) which means if another program targetted it it would easily be able to stop it from doing it's job. It is also a "poller" of the system, such as that it takes updates at set intervals rather than actually hooking the execution of programs, but that isn't such a big deal since most programs run for a few seconds anyhow.

-Jason-

3. notageek

Thanks Jason.

4. muf

muf Registered Member

I'll just add that for the type of protection these programs give, Process Guard is the best. But it does not run on Win 9x. So if you are using Win 9x then the only real option's currently are SSM and Winsonar. Obviously both are not up to the level of PG but beggars can't be choosers can they? I have tired both SSM and Winsonar. SSM has more features and goes a lot deeper, but on the downside it is a pain in the butt keep asking permission's. I found Winsonar's more simplistic approach and use more suited to my needs. On fast scan, it scans for new running processes every 5 seconds so will catch new things pretty quick. You could also use a file protection program to protect The Winsonar.exe for tampering if you wanted to be extra secure.

There is another program you may wish to try. It's called SafePC and you will be able to find plenty of download location's on google. Pretty much a SSM type.

muf

5. notageek

Thanks Muf. I'm using Windows XP. I haven't tried PG yet. I
    ll take a look at SafePC. I did noticed that SSM does have a small issue with keeping my Permissions.

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Well if it was you i'd be taking a good look at Process Guard before any others. For Win XP users it's the best at what it does. When i get a new pc and move over to Win XP from Win ME, i'll definately be purchasing PG. Must confess it still knarles at me that there's nothing like Process Guard for Win 9x. But the three programs i mentioned: SSM, SafePC and Winsonar are the closest us poor Win 9x users will get. Pass me the begging bowl someone! Do i hear violins playing? ;)

muf

7. saxmachine

saxmachine Guest

Does anyone have a link to the program- SafePC ? I could not find at Snapfiles.com. Thanks.

8. muf

muf Registered Member

Here's a few.

Main website - Click on products.
    http://visioninn.com/webcgi/domain.exe

Shareware website links.
    http://www.sofotex.com/SafePC-download_L16191.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/14/8/14-8-95.shtml

Not been using SafePC that long but it seems pretty useful. It just alerted me to a new startup, then alerted me when i removed one. When you first run it, it asks you if you want to permit everything in your windows folder and program files folder. Then after that, it will alert you to anything new. Even tells you if they have been modified. I find it is very much like SSM but without all the constant permission boxes popping up.

muf

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  9. saxmachine

saxmachine Guest

Thanks for the info and links Muf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.